PDA

View Full Version : New Stator?

mrcbr76
07-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Out of the blue my 250r went from 1 kick start to not starting. When I kick it gets 1 or 2 weak fires, but won't catch. I pulled plug (new) and it's clean. I pulled my stator cover and it had evidence of moisture. I cleaned the stator with wd-40 then brake cleaner per other recommendations. It helped a little and the motor made a half hearted attempt to start, but still will not catch. There is a new coil on the quad, it checked all connections, grounds etc.

From reading around on here it seems that the stator seems to be a weak point on the 250r. Am I best off to order a Rickeys w/pickup (or better if anyone knows of one) and just replace it?

Should the flywheel be replaced as well. I can't find evidence that they go bad.

Also, anyone know how to loosen the flywheel nut without a air wrench? I could get to one, but I'd have to load the quad and drive it there.

Thanks.

methyman
07-03-2009, 07:11 AM
What ever you do you should not buy a Ricky Stator. They are not any good. You need to up grade to 2001 CR 250R ignition or buy an OEM Honda stator from Serivce Honda.com.

mrcbr76
07-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Is there a reason for not going Rickey? I bought a new Reg/Rectifier for my CBR through them they seemed pretty good. But I've seen hit and miss comments regarding going with the Rickey stator for the TRX.

250Renvy
07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't have any experience with them, but Moose also makes stators for the 250R. I'm not sure OEM is still available.

hondamancbr03
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm going on about 6 years +/- on my Ricky stator in my Banshee.....Haven't had a probablem yet. Can't see why they would construct the TRX stator any different.

regg187
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I've got longer than 6 years on my stator from rickey, but mine came from the time when you had to send it in . They would rewind it for you and send it back. Now I think he just has them made, hopefully not in China.

mfr422
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM
I've had good luck with ricky stators rewinds, have them on both of my machines. I did have one that the screws came loose from the backing plate, they forgot to loctite them. I couldn't find my receipt and sent it back to them and they warranteed it anyway, great people to deal with.:D that stator was about 6 years old at the time it came loose. I originally bought them for running lights as the stock stator sucks.

mrcbr76
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I was able to pull the stator. It's evident that water had sat in the case. The stator itself does not look that bad. I suspect no mater how well the stator is cleaned there probably internal corrosion I can't repair. I cleaned it off once, reinstalled and had the same result... a motor that fired intermittantly.

1. is the intermittant firing a symptom of a stator going/gone bad.

2. my flywheel looks pretty good, is there any chance the water affected it as well.

3. any chance I'm looking at a bad CDI?

I think I'm going to send it into Ricky for a rewind, seems a handful of people had good results with that.

Thanks for your help so far!