PDA

View Full Version : setting up suspension

mxpimp2000
07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
i have triple rate LT front elkas and a stock rear shock on my 06 yfz450 and everything seems ok but i have heard that u want to bottom the bike out on the biggest jump on the track.

Well i have stock settings on my rear shock and the fronts are little stiff, also iam a bigger guy than ur average mx racer. i have not bottomed out my suspension on the track yet and ive ran this setup for a year going on 2 now. except i use to run axis shocks in front but switched to elka like a big dummy.

i was wondering if i need to lower my ride height and if it would make my suspension any softer?

iam running Gibson LT a arms also

usp4u
07-03-2009, 08:56 PM
the purpose of the "bottom once a lap" theory is so that you are using all of the travel available. It's a sound idea and fine practice, however, suspension is very personal item. what works for me may not be comfortable for you.
I have no experience with Elka parts, only PEP. It may be that you are bottoming more than you think. Most higher-end shocks will have internal or external "bump-stops" that eliminate the metal-to-metal "clang" of bottoming. If I were you I would adjust the shocks to full soft and go out and run a few laps and force it to bottom to get a feel of what it feels like to bottom those shocks. Then, progressivly dial in more compression. Looking for the smoothest ride and best bottoming resistance for big hits.
Remember, it's about what works for you. I like to run my set-up on the stiff side to minimize body roll in the corners, and bottom out very little.
When it comes to shock set-up, your mileage will most certainly vary.