PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting the kids started in riding?

KevinAb
07-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I posted part of this in Pink Power's thread, but it got me thinking.

My daughter turns 6 tomorrow, so picked this up for her b-day-
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/1218329906.html

I know it's a cheap chinese 50cc thing, but for $350, has a speed limiter, remote kill.... I want to get both kids into riding, but I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money on one until they are ready and into it.

She and her 4yo brother have been on a powerwheels battery quad, so they have a decent feel for it I think. I'm going helmet shopping in the morning.

I'm not sure the "Blast" will ever leave the yard, but it's a start. I just hope she does as well as Pink Power. :D

QuadJunkies
07-03-2009, 12:24 AM
I hope your Daughter has and AWESOME Bday and she enjoys her new quad! :) I just love reading about the kids ,they are so cute and its cool to read about them when they are so young.
Maybe she will be the next Traci Cecco!

All I can tell you is that once you get that Daughter of yours hooked, she will suck you in and suck you DRY!! LMAO!:p

My Son was 5 when we bought him an Eton 50... he rode it for I think about a year . At age 5 or 6 he a Monster Truck Quad Wars event and was totally hooked on racing. Both kids actually .
As he got a little better and grew bored of the power, we then bought a 70 motor and pipe. And from there it was aallll over!
Before you know it, they will be just like us adults, they will want more power .
All I can suggest is that if and when the time comes when its time to upgrade, get something that has a good reputation for safety and where you can buy upgrades and find parts avail. There is a few good brands on the market today compared to years past, and there is a few NOT so good ones. I like to think about these things like they are insurance for our kids.

My kids are now 12 and 15 and my son is now getting ready to graduate off minis and into a 250 this fall. He is getting very bored with power now ,now I get to be even more nervous.lol
Mini quads can be a love/hate relationship. lol
We have had so many good memories watching them race and take countless group rides with our freinds, and even though we spent countless amts. of money keeping them running, I wouldnt trade these days for ANYTHING .
http://www.pbase.com/image/112660153/original.jpg

Old Head
07-03-2009, 03:38 AM
We just had new nieghbors move in across the street. They have 2 kids, one on a dirtbike and the other on a quad. The nieghbor next to me just got his 4 year old a quad. Its fun watching them all zip around the back yards. Funny thing is the old bag across the street that used to yell at me and my son for riding is now yelling at the kids.