PDA

View Full Version : Dog Owners: K9advantix or Frontline

TCracin440ex
07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Well i just recently got a new dog and i know he aint got no fleas or nothing. the previous owner said she frontlined him but she lived in the city so what i was wondering is should i put frontline back on him or k9advantix because ive heard several say that frontline is not that good at all. can anybody shed some light?

bad450r08
07-02-2009, 10:07 PM
My family breeds large breed and small breed dogs and all we will buy is frontline. It has always work great for us. And most dog owners i know use frontline two.

powermadd400ex
07-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bad450r08
My family breeds large breed and small breed dogs and all we will buy is frontline. It has always work great for us. And most dog owners i know use frontline two.

yep, we use frontline on all ours dogs :macho:

Pappy
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
frontline here as well

TCracin440ex
07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
because ive heard the frontline aint as good as the advantics? i hate fleas and ticks and i dont want them in my house or in my bed. because leo sleeps in the bed with me..

powermadd400ex
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
i have 2 daschunds and 1 german sheperd that sleeps in the bed with me and since we have used frontline, i havent seen 1 tick or flea in my bed.

j_cyrus3
07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
because ive heard the frontline aint as good as the advantics? i hate fleas and ticks and i dont want them in my house or in my bed. because leo sleeps in the bed with me..

I have heard the Advantix works just as well as the Frontline, I have never tried it though.

I use Frontline on my dogs.

matt14c
07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
We use Fontline Plus on are two dogs and this is the second summer and so far so good. Asking this at a dog show is like asking honda or yamaha here to be honest. I asked my vet before we bought and she said there about the same thing but they didnt sell the advantix so we would have to through someone else and the frontline ended up being about $5 cheaper per month. I have heard that the advantix can cause kidney problems but have also heard that the frontline can cause digestive problems within the first day or so of application.

TCracin440ex
07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
hmm. well i guess hes already used to the front line i should keep putting it on him. i found one tick on him yesterday it was in his ear but i pulled it off and it was already dead. so that shows its working. i hate ticks but fleas drive me crazy.

what other kind of preventive "maintence" anybody else recomend? flea & tick shampoo? i know i sound like a newbie dog owner here. im not really ive had several dogs in my life and leo makes the 6th one we got living here. the other dogs are my moms so she takes care of their stuff. im just wondering what to use on MY dog

here is a pic of leo

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/102_1887.jpg

Old Head
07-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
Well i just recently got a new dog and i know he aint got no fleas or nothing. the previous owner said she frontlined him but she lived in the city so what i was wondering is should i put frontline back on him or k9advantix because ive heard several say that frontline is not that good at all. can anybody shed some light?

We used to use frontline on our lab. He died of cancer at age 9. When our retriver was a pup we used on her, she is 8 and has cancer but still hanging in there. We stopped using it years ago, after the 1st dog died and we heard it causes cancer. I'll stick with feeding them garlic at dinner.

protraxrptr17
07-03-2009, 06:22 AM
We had been using Frontline, but my wife got some kind of pills last time. It doesn't do anything for ticks, but it works awesome on fleas. We gave some to my moms mongrels because they live next door and serve as a flea hatchery (My dogs go over there and come home with fleas). After about 15 minutes, dead fleas were falling off those mutts like rain. I have wondered if there are any long term problems with any of that stuff.