PDA

View Full Version : ok ok ok........

honda400-4-ever
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
i do not know what to do....called up the local honda dealer and they said that the sparks timng key will blow up my motor :huh so i dont know what to do. will it really blow up my motor?? my dad has no faith in this thing at all so help me out here. :confused:

Snipe
07-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Call your local honda stealership and say Snipe from Missouri sais your a freakin retard and he is sending you a helmet so you dont hurt yourself!!!

It wont blow the motor up. If you have a aftermarket CDI that advances the timing I would remove it before installing or just not install the key. In that case it would advance it to far.

As for it blowing the motor on a stock CDI or a CDI that just advances the rev limiter you will be totally fine.

I have it gave it so much more its like getting on a different bike. With the tools ready and the gasket take you about a hour to do and I never done one before.

honda400-4-ever
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
ok thats cool. when tightening the flywheel bolt back on can i just use a socket wrench or breaker bar, cause i dont have a torque wrench or impact gun

trailrider894
07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
unless you are running a high comp piston or a 440 kit or something use it. it responds well with some cdi box's like the key and the sparks cdi box work great together. your dealer is talking s h i t to you man.

matt14c
07-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
ok thats cool. when tightening the flywheel bolt back on can i just use a socket wrench or breaker bar, cause i dont have a torque wrench or impact gun

I would use a breaker bar and get it really tight. Best bet would be to see if you dont know anyone with a torque wrech or break down and buy one. You really should be putting almost all things especially in the motor back together following the torque specs in the manual.

As far as the key itself the dealership tells you not to use it because they didnt sell it to you! If they were selling them then they would mark it up prolly to about $50 then consider it the greatest thing since sliced bread. You will be fine with it. There are some people on here using it with a 416 or larger bore and far more mods than yours!

Snipe
07-02-2009, 11:43 PM
I used a torque wrench and torqued it to 91ft lbs that is the best way to do it. The breaker bar would be the next best but like said keeping to the ft lbs is the best.

07-03-2009, 12:05 AM
call the dealership back and ask if they know anything about motors. They would be laughed at trying to tell that to a real engine builder

DirtMonkey
07-03-2009, 03:51 AM
If you dont buy a torque wrench then you can rent one from napa or pretty much any parts store. And no it wont blow up the motor but you wont feel a difference if the cdi is already advancing the timing. I tried both combos and either one will give you just about the same performance.

grassman
07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
dealerships will tell you anything after market is bad. they just want you spending money on honda parts. if they dont install it they will tell you not to do it. as far as the key goes ive had mine in for awhile and just last night i was racing my buddy down the road, holding it to the wood and i have no prob... besides losing some top end it a good mod.

Ryan'07400ex
07-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by grassman
besides losing some top end it a good mod.

I wasn't aware it took away top end. Mine feels the same.

Bout the dealer tellin you that he probably just wants you to get something more expensive from him than that like a 200 dollar cam or 500 carb u know. haha He knows u wouldn't want to try this yourself and they'd do it for 60 an hour.

07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
thats real odd mine gained a good bit all around but mid and top is where you really feel it pull. I remember it used to take forever to get the quad to the rev limiter in 5th gear then I put the key in and I had it tagged on the rev limiter pretty quick

grassman
07-03-2009, 02:19 PM
im just saying me and my buddy who has a 05 with all the same mods race all the time. Before the timing key he would beat me on the take off and i would catch him and pass him once i was 5th gear pegged. after the key i would keep up on take off then he would pull on me in 5th pegged. i went down 2 teeth on the back sprocket and last night i raced him and killed him on the take off and was about even on the top end.... i dont know... thats just what happened to mine.

honda400-4-ever
07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
installed it an WOW made a huge difference every in the powerband mostly the top and mid. so glad i didnt listen to my dad i got it....now deciding what cdi/rev box to get??:confused:

07-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
installed it an WOW made a huge difference every in the powerband mostly the top and mid. so glad i didnt listen to my dad i got it....now deciding what cdi/rev box to get??:confused:

Don't get one, period. They don't do ****, all they do is raise the rev limiter, which is useless on a 400ex. They are already set to 9100 rpm from the factory, and the 400ex engine is way past peak power and torque by that point, which is in the 7's. If you ride your 400ex up to the rev limiter and think you need to raise it, then you don't know how to ride.:p

KevinAb
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by grassman
im just saying me and my buddy who has a 05 with all the same mods race all the time. Before the timing key he would beat me on the take off and i would catch him and pass him once i was 5th gear pegged. after the key i would keep up on take off then he would pull on me in 5th pegged. i went down 2 teeth on the back sprocket and last night i raced him and killed him on the take off and was about even on the top end.... i dont know... thats just what happened to mine.

Yup, that's my 05 he's refering to, same HMF slip on, jetted, Uni filter, open air box lid.... Grassman probably has 30 or 40 lbs on me.

Before he installed the key, I would always take him from a start, through the gears, then he would creep back up and pass me pegged in 5th.

He installed the key, and we were about dead even from start to all out.

The other night was the first time out after he changed his sprocket. We lined up a few times, and he killed me off the line, through the gears, then I started catching him on the top end.

I haven't changed a thing on mine through all his changes.