PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

prpfire3
07-02-2009, 06:39 PM
so can some one tell me what long travel shocks are used for and whats better long or regular and why

matt14c
07-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Long travel shocks are about 2-1/2 to 3 inches longer than standard travel shocks and provide more travel. Mainly used in MX applications so when jumping you have the extra travel to worry less about bottoming out. As far as whats better it depends on what kind of riding your doing mainly. If your just the weekend warrior in my opinion you could use the extra money you would spend on shocks and use it else where. I have seen people use them on cross country applications also but again it really depends on you. How often do you bottom out now and what type of suspension do you have now. If you have good suspension like pep, axis, or fox AND ITS SETUP PROPERLY and you bottom out alot then you may want to look at long travel.

prpfire3
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
thanks alot

woodsracer144
07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
like he said it has to do with your riding but i would have to disagree on mainly used in mx... the tecate and score riders would be lost with you LT shocks... even my self in the woods uses it all... it all comes down to how hard you ride... and make sure the shocks are set up correct...

prpfire3
07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
thats cool i ride hard and fast most the time i need somthing that will hald my 270 pound *** up but also have some good movment were i ride we have a couple of sections on the trail that have some off camber riden and strips of rockes the size of soft balls and a lil bigger i just dont want them to be so damn stiff that i get thrown off bec. they wont give but i also have some jumps on the trial nothing to big but i dont wanna bottom out. my kfx 450r handles the trails good and my weight to but there a little stiff for for rough terrain i dont know to much about shocks and all that so thats why i am asking so much questions

woodsracer144
07-02-2009, 10:17 PM
well one thing i've heard is that on a track your sopose to bottom out at least once a lap... so if you think of all the trails you ride... think of the one spot you would bottome out the easyest at and set it from there... shock set up also has alot to do with rebound, compression and preload... some one posted a huge book form custom axis i'll see if i can find it or if some will drop it in...

woodsracer144
07-02-2009, 10:18 PM
here you go... every thing and anything you want to know about custom axis shocks... http://customaxisshocks.com/Custom%20Axis.pdf

prpfire3
07-02-2009, 10:33 PM
alright thats cool thanks aalot and if any one eles has info let me know i need all the help i can and ill check that link out

rustyATV
07-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by matt14c
Long travel shocks are about 2-1/2 to 3 inches longer than standard travel shocks and provide more travel. Mainly used in MX applications s

This isn't exactly right. Long travel shocks are longer and do provide a little more suspension travel, but their main purpose it to allow a longer shock stroke by combining with long travel arms to effectively mount the lower end of the shock closer to the tire. Moving this point closer to the tire makes the shock more effective, so softer spring and damping rates can be used, which greatly improves the smoothness and quality of the ride. This is actually something that's been happening in cars for years; steadily moving the shocks out as far as possible on the suspension to improve ride quality.

They're actually very popular in XC racing for those who aren't strict budget racers. I've never used them myself ($$$) but people who have swear by them.

prpfire3
07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
that does make alot of sence thanks . i wish i had the money for the set up that i want i just want to be able to have shock movment thats soft enough to make it trave over what i need it to with out kicking my ***** but als0o able to keep me from bottoming out on some jumps

woodsracer144
07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
to be honest... if your gonna just trail ride it and not race... i would just get a set of fully adjustable axis peps or elkas...

prpfire3
07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
yea thats what i was thinking i was looking and the works and pepsbut i have to call them bec. they dont have prices on there web site

woodsracer144
07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
just look around here... what do you want to spend on shocks... i might have something for you or can find something...

prpfire3
07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
right now cant afford anything but here some time in the next month or 2 about 500 for front and rear used and as if there new maybe 500 for the front but seriously i aint sure lol not over a thousand