PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs. 450er

87HONDATRX250X
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi every one im planning on buying a 450 next year and want to know the difference between the two Honda 450s.

ProspectorJim
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
Hi every one im planning on buying a 450 next year and want to know the difference between the two Honda 450s.

ones kickstart and ones Electric start.

87HONDATRX250X
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Does any of them have kick start and electric start? I know some dirt bikes have that. Do quads?

exrider12
07-02-2009, 04:42 PM
No. But you can add one to the other.

Scro
07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
You can add a kicker to the electric, but you can't add the factory electric start to the kicker.

ppeengines
07-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Well I know I wish i would of got the kick start. My 08 er was a pain some times starting cuz the small little stock battery just didnt put out enough cracking amps. If it wasnt fully ccharged and it was rough starting in the winter, it would kill the battery. Then you have no backup way to start it. And I refuse to bump start any machine, not too good for it. If you plan on putting a higher lift cam, or high comp piston in it i would suggest getting a bigger battery like a gsxr 600 battery for it like I did. Alot of guys are putting kickers on their ER's these days for these same reasons. I am getting old but but still love that push button. If you plan on doing any xc racing I would go with the ER. I seen too many kicker's still at the starting line still kicking when everyone else is long gone. Now all of this of what I just said is my opinion and I am not speaking for anyone else. Just what I have experienced.

rollie
07-04-2009, 09:31 PM
My E-start was great when my motor was BONE stock.

Now i just ordered all the oarts a few days ago for the kick start and will be getting rid of the E-start completely, its just plain junk with a built motor

ppeengines
07-04-2009, 09:53 PM
does anyone know of any aftermarket companies making some heavy duty starters for the 450er that can crank our high compression motors. Mine is stroked and bored out, and the starter seem to be working its butt off turning it over. It starts first push every time but still its working hard to do it. I found this website on ebay www.glanninnovations.com that sell sprocket guards like GT Thunder and they have this service called "STOCK HONDA TRX450ER CARBURETOR HOT START INSTALLATION" and this is what they say they do:
STOCK HONDA TRX450ER CARBURETOR HOT START INSTALLATION

Why do I need this on my TRX450ER?

Would you like your quad to start better after stalling and not have to find neutral first? The Hot Start especially helps when you add the kickstart parts to your ER model because all kickstart only models come factory with the hot start. If you have added the kickstarter to your ER this system is not fully complete unless you have also added the hot start system. If you haven't already noticed the Enduro CRF450 comes factory with electric start, kickstart and hot start. If you have not added a kickstarter you will still benefit from the hot start system when trying to restart your quad after you have just stalled it by engaging the hot start system and the starter. On the 2006 only ER's you will need to check the your local dealer on resetting of your decompression adjustment.. Only the 2006 ER is adjustable and needs to be readjusted. The 2007-2008 are non adjustable and need no adjustments.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A DANG GOOD THING FOR US WITH BUILT MOTORS. I WILL BE TALKING TO THE GUY THIS WEEK TO SEE WHATS UP WITH IT BUT IF ALL POSSIBLE I WILL DO IT MYSELF.

rollie
07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
The starter is not the problem, in fact im not sure ive heard of any of them dying, but the start clutch is what goes wrong, that hotstart thing doesnt sound like a bad idea, but i know multipul people with E-start R's that have converted to kick and they have no problem

Drewltr450
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
friends 511 3mm stroker killed his starter in a very short amount of time. kicker is the way to go

Red Juggernaut
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
As im reading this thread you guys are making me wonder... I have alot of motor work done to my er but the stater seems fine... alot of you guys recommend kick start for the er if you have a modded motor. How much is the kicker system for the er?
JUG

ppeengines
07-06-2009, 01:59 AM
[i] How much is the kicker system for the er?
JUG [/B]

Any whers from 150-200$ and up. Thats if you find a sweet deal or someone parting his kicker engine and you get all the parts for it.