PDA

View Full Version : building a 440.....final steps

trx400EXtreme
07-02-2009, 12:55 PM
after everything is assembled what is left to do besides adjusting the valves. how do you time the motor?

killer400ex
07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
the only timing on the motor required is the cam, all you do is remove the covers on the left side of the motor (as if you were sitting on the quad), there should be 2 allen wrench spots on the left side, take those out and get a socket (i forget the size) and put the socket on the flywheel bolt and turn the motor over by hand, look in the smaller hole and you will see timing marks on the flywheel, there will be a T- mark, line the small line up with the T which stands for tdc or top dead center, once youve done that install your cam sprocket, there should be 3 marks on the sprocket, make sure the middle line is facing up and that the other two lines line up with the top of the head, then install the cam itself using the screws and make sure to put locktite on the screws ( it is just a precaution to prevent them from backing out and causing a big mess) but once youve done all that then you place the valve cover on and tourque it down and adjust your valves to spec, if you are using a hotcam they will tell you what they suggest as valve clearance or valve lash, lol just got done dooing mine for the 2nd time in 2 weeks

killer400ex
07-02-2009, 02:40 PM
another way to install the cam is to take the cam chain tensioner out and to bolt the sprocket to the cam outside of the motor, i found this easier, but make sure to re-install the chain tensioner and i would double and tripple check that all of your marks line up properly, and the cam knuckles should be facing down when you install it i believe

trx400EXtreme
07-03-2009, 08:40 AM
that really clears things up thanks guys.