PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying an MX in 2 weeks.

infantry317
01-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Motodome in Staples, MN. I'll get laughed at with my stock fenders (gonna leave em for XC), tires and stock suspension. I think I'll keep in back and stay out of the way. My bud Greg Gillman has a practice track has meaner jumps than the Motodome. Any advice? :)

AtvMxRider
01-06-2003, 03:12 PM
The best advice I can give you is don't go out there and do anything you are not comforatble with. Don't get in over your head. Just take your time and learn the track. It's not worth going out there and getting hurt over a $5 trophy.

Sparks425Ex
01-06-2003, 03:34 PM
If you go in their thinking you are gonna lose then don't bother. If ou really believe that y ou can win or do you best then go for it. If you go in thinking you will lose then it will br a waste of money and time not to mention effort.

Go for it. You will love it.

Mity Mo
01-06-2003, 05:07 PM
just remeber a few things...
1. Ask the A riders or The Pros what side of a jump you need to be on if you arent doubling it. That way you are plenty safe from being landed on or making your local A riders mad. They will always help if you ask but if you tee them off, they might not be as helpful.
2. Always remember to look where your racing. Dont worry if you are in someones way. If they are faster they will find a way around you. If you get lapped just hold your line while they are going around. DOnt be bouncing around when they are trying to come around. They will get around you quickly and painlessly.
3. As it was already mentioned...Dont do anything you arent ready to do. If every one is doubling something and you arent...WHO CARES? Just do what you can. You will learn the ropes of MX. Even Doug Gust came in last for the first few races he was in.
4. HAVE FUN...HAVE FUN...HAVE FUN!!!! This is a sport. Its not gonna make you a million dollars. Its not gonna make you famous. It will get you stressed out and hurt if you take it to seriously. JUST HAVE FUN..
Hope this helps...

Oh by the way did I mention......HAVE FUN......Mo:blah ;)

PhilMoore
01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Take it really easy in practice. Just ride the track and don't use all your energy practicing!

Don't forget to fasten your kill tether. My first race, I forgot to hook it to myself, and had to stop halfway through the race cuz the bouncing tether was making me nervous! :)

Don't forget to breathe waiting for the gate! Don' t wear yourself out bouncing your nervous knee!

Mity Mo's tip about asking where to ride is the best tip. Hopefully they will mention in the pre race meeting where to ride if you are not jumping huge. I think it is typically either side, stay out of the middle unless you are jumping. But, find out before you race, PLEASE.

Take your responsibility to ride SAFELY in the race very seriously. Be mindful that other riders are just as nervous or even more so than you! I have learned that passing other racers by jumping a huge jump that they will not do, is not the best way to get ahead. I have felt guilty about my mistake for 3 years now. Thank God I did not cause a wreck, hit anyone, or crash myself. Thankfully everyone held their line at that particular moment.

The last three races I have been in, I have done a get-off, only once did I come in dead last. I didn't get hurt, but it did make me stop and think. I did not race last year, but this year I am going to try it again. Only this time I am going to try to ride smooth and clean, and not just amp out.

There was a great interview with Kenny Marcou in December ATV Sport. Kenny said "I just ride fast where I know I am fast and don't take unneeded chances."

I saw a tee shirt that said "Second place is the first looser" ~~~

I'll take it! :)

Good luck and have fun!

Davids440ex
01-06-2003, 11:51 PM
drink lots of water lay off the sugars

QuadJunkies
01-07-2003, 01:07 AM
I agree with most here too... Go have fun.When I ride my first race,thats the attitude Im going into it with.. Just have a goodtime, be safe and let us all know how it was:p

infantry317
01-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Hey everybody,
Thanks for the good advice. Yeah, I just want to do it for fun. I'm 31 yrs. old! I'm not planning on being a pro, I just got back into quads after being away from the sport since I was 16. I'm going to run XC this spring. Anyway I'm going out to practice with my bud Greg (white & red 250r[330r] in Huevos4 Ice racing) on his moto track this weekend.
Scott

400grl
01-07-2003, 09:22 AM
This is all great advice!!! One more for you, that I was just reminded of this past weekend! It's better to finish in 2nd or 3rd or whatever, than to crash and not finish at all.......meaning, don't push yourself so hard that you mess up! That has always been my own advice to myself, and I forgot it this weekend.....was ahead of my class and chasing down the last pro - got greedy......and lost it coming off a step-up in 5th gear.....not fun!!!! I would have placed first in Novice if I hadn't gotten greedy and went against my own rule.........SOOOO!!!! Remember that!!!!! :D And have fun! I'm 31 too.....you aren't too old yet!!! :D

Mity Mo
01-07-2003, 09:25 AM
31 must be a popular age. I am also 31. So see you can teach old dogs new tricks.... Mo:p

Wired
01-07-2003, 09:37 AM
i was going to race the motodome last week actually. cody anderson invited me up to come race with him but i was far from ready so i just said the heck with it, plus my ex is in bad shape... damn snow ruins everything. cody called me back sunday night and said the track was alright but nothing to brag about. he had the worst luck. in his first race his clutch went out so he ended up racing the first moto and LCQ with no clutch :eek: won the LCQ then had enough time to work on it and got the clutch running, then he was leading everyone until the last lap then spun out. not his weekend he said. but i was going to go up there and find the big jumps, im not really into racing that much expecially small tracks. you should have fun though, cody said there was like +20 quads entered, all the way from heavliy moded to completely stock! good luck in the future!

infantry317
01-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Jon, are you going to be there on the 19th?

infantry317
01-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Oops, missed where you said it wasn't your bag. :D

MxDale71
01-07-2003, 01:49 PM
My best advice would be to listen to all these people here. Ask anyone that has seen me race a lot over the season, I've payed for not taking some of the advise. DON'T GET IN OVER YOUR HEAD AND TAKE UNNECESSARY RISKS!!!!!!!!! I've only been racing for a year and I have already been knocked out, gotten a fractured foot, broken collar bone, broken nose, cracked subframe (and the C-dale frames are pretty tough), bent wheel, broken brake line, bent nerf bar, bent handle bars, broken headlights, and to many bruises and scratches to count. I always tend to ride to hard, or pass in the air, or just push myself to hard and not be focused, and I've had 3 bad wrecks and about 10 little ones. So take it easy... I know I will. It's a new season, so I'm gonna try to start all over and be a SMART racer instead of a retarded one.

Davids440ex
01-07-2003, 11:56 PM
I've only been racing for a year and I have already been knocked out, gotten a fractured foot, broken collar bone, broken nose

ouch

MxDale71
01-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Lol, not to bad.

stocktires
01-08-2003, 04:59 PM
I agree with mxdale SOOOOO much. I have the same type of story (And list!) and I never even got to race last year because of injuries!

Take you time and ride smart!