PDA

View Full Version : broken case

yfzracer14
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
through my chain tonight at the track. put it back on, sounds like somthing is broke in the tranny. case is cracked behind the sprocket by the swing arm bolt, oil everywhere. anyone else have this happen? should be covered by warrenty, right? i have missed the last 3 races because it has been in the shop for B.S., cant even get through a practice. starting to get very frusterated with this bike. maby i will go back to yamaha.

dbkbushwacker
07-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Mine broke this past weekend. I took it to my dealer this week, I'll post what they say.

jlrenken
07-02-2009, 06:36 AM
i bet if u take the case apart u will see that it didnt go all the way through. thats what happened to mine.

Blizzard24
07-02-2009, 07:21 AM
From my experience with other manufacturers around broken cases, no one has ever covered it under warranty. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ps, that is not Can Am's fault that the cases cracked when the chain gets thrown.

yfzracer14
07-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Im not saying its can ams fault, it just seems that it shouldnt have cracked where it did, their are no signs of contact w/ the case at all. I think that something let go inside, their is definitely something rattling around in their. Its broke all the way through, oil is leaking from the crack.

dbkbushwacker
07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
My bike didn't throw the chain and it leaks oil. I mostly do trail riding and some sand drags.

ThePhantomRider
07-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Some cases have had cracking issues, they should take care of it for you.

TPR

yfzracer14
07-02-2009, 09:57 AM
just dropped it off, their was another one there with the same thing, moter was mangled.

blaster99
07-02-2009, 03:01 PM
That crack is really not that serious unless it goes all the way down around the bottom of the case, to the case gasket and it starts leaking oil.

yfzracer14
07-02-2009, 03:15 PM
its leaking oil and the tyranny doesnt sound good. its a the dealers now sounds like can am is going to cover it.

dbkbushwacker
07-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by blaster99
That crack is really not that serious unless it goes all the way down around the bottom of the case, to the case gasket and it starts leaking oil.

I said it leaks oil, the crack goes further down.

yfzracer14
07-03-2009, 03:45 PM
looks like i broke 3 teeth of of fourth gear. the crack was caused internally. can am is covering it.

dbkbushwacker
07-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I caught mine before any damage occured. I talked to the service writer and he said can am wants some pics send to them. Hopefully I'll know next week if my quad is going to be covered under warranty.

yfzracer14
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
my dealer had to send pics too

ThePhantomRider
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I wonder if Rotax makes a 250cc two stroke...if they do and it could bolt up, man that would be sweet. Considering the motor is the heaviest of the 450's a light 2 stroke could rip!!!

Wonder how long it will be before someone tries an engine swap in that light chassis...I could see a 300 pound terror right there..

TPR

yfzracer14
07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I was wrong, I got my bike back today, cost me over a grand.
I dont know about anyone else, but I buy new bikes to race not to work on non stop.

dbkbushwacker
07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
My case is going to be covered by my warranty but the cases are on back order til next month.

400exc
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Can someone pinpoint on the picture exactlly where the crack is? I have an 08 and havent checked mine for cracks yet. Is there any more spots where the case cracks?

yfzracer14
11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
its that thin line in front of the swingarm bolt

TNT
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Finally a PIC now I see, guess I didn't pay much attention to this thread since I got a 09 but that is no minor surface crack and it's in a bad location. I was thinking just some surface crack from a pourous casting but this one from swing arm frame bending on the engine tab from what I can tell. Only fix or best fix is new designed case to thicken that area up unless this "2010 kit" has some way to stabilize the frame to the engine...that will be interesting to see how they do that.

But I don't think a weld would hold that commander now that I seen it you might try it may hold for a while be my guess but not for years.

Man that sucks I know our yam has a solid piece of engine we bolt through now I need to check our 09 DS, hate for that happen hope the new cases fixed it.

florentino
11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by yfzracer14
I dont know about anyone else, but I buy new bikes to race not to work on non stop.

any time you race any kind of quads you will break parts,and motors . you need 2 or 3 bikes for racing. i dont think that the frame is good. someone has to step up. and make better ..
sky is the limit. i am working on mine frame

comander420
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I figured I'll ask the weld engineer who sits next to me if he can tig it this winter when i take the engine out. I'll have him tig the crack then put a couple of tigs across the top and bottom to make an I and maybe drop a few more around there to try and build it up a little. Luckily my racer support program just went through so I can get new cases if that doesn't work. I think I would have been better off keeping the waranty and not having to do all the labor.

mebcop
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by yfzracer14

haha. 15hrs......tick tick boom!!

LTRracer4
11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
comander. check your pm's:chinese:

ds450xracer
11-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by comander420
I figured I'll ask the weld engineer who sits next to me if he can tig it this winter when i take the engine out. I'll have him tig the crack then put a couple of tigs across the top and bottom to make an I and maybe drop a few more around there to try and build it up a little. Luckily my racer support program just went through so I can get new cases if that doesn't work. I think I would have been better off keeping the waranty and not having to do all the labor.

Are you saying they are going to send you a new case with your racer support package?

comander420
11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
no, just that now with the $1000 in parts I can get new cases for $600+ and replace them if I can't fix it.