PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearings, which to get?

uchi
07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
im wondering what the difference is between these 2 here other than the price

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=106&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&prodFamilyId=571#vehicleSelect

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=106&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&prodFamilyId=2054

drew416ex
07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by uchi
im wondering what the difference is between these 2 here other than the price

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=106&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&prodFamilyId=571#vehicleSelect

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=106&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&prodFamilyId=2054

Nothing really. Some say all balls are better than pivot works. Ive used both and had the same luck out of both of them.

uchi
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
cool thanks man, so its just price based on brand then. ill ee what i can find locally here. man im hurting to ride i tell ya, havent been out in about a month and my first ride out was cut short.

Wheelie
07-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Buy Honda bearings, aftermarkets suck. I had a set of pivot works fail in a year. The stock bearings lasted 7 and were still in good shape when I removed them.

Check out www.servicehonda.com for OE bearings. I just bought new axle bearings less than a month ago, they were under $60 for bearings and seals.

uchi
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
True enough. Wih something like this I'm better off getting oem. Hell the original bearings lasted 6 years for me. Thanks for the info and link

Wheelie
07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
No problem, my carrier was close to being destroyed due to the aftermarket bearings. I don't want to see anyone else have that happen.

OE all the way.

uchi
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Definatly. I just hope I didn't damage the carrier. The bearings are definatly shot I'm getting about an inch of wheel play. Not a fan.

drew416ex
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Do what you want but you are paying more for the same thing. Look at the oem bearing. Its made by koyo or ntn. Look at the aftermarket bearing, hmmm same company. The point is, honda or anyother company dont make all of their parts. Like the carb, its a kehin, not honda just like the bearings. Ive gone through my share of bearings and different companys, so why pay more? If you want to do even better on price than pivot works, go to a local bearing supplier. Same stuff, less money.

uchi
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Is there a company you recommend? There's actually a bearing place near me somewhere. I might check them out. Can I buy the seals seperatly? I know some parts can't be bought without another part.

Ba9801
07-01-2009, 08:37 PM
That is a great link
www.servicehonda.com
You should be able to get just the seals from there and get the bearings anywhere. I work on cars and I have used my local auto parts supplier for atv bearings in the past.

uchi
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for all the info guys. I don't look forward to having to do this. With my luck the bearings have blown and I've gouged the carrier already. Lol.

honda400ex2003
07-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I just bought my oem stuff from service and got the seals and everything needed to do them. if you are not sure what you all need take it apart first and check then you can look at the schematic and know what seals you are going to need. there are only 2 part numbers really needed to the bearings. 2 dust seals and 2 bearings, but i would get the 2 outer side ones that go on the outside of the carrier too. I think that is all of them though. steve

uchi
07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Outer side bearings or seals? Thanks for the input. Hey wanna link me to your writeup on changing them? You did once and ookmarked it but can't seem to find it anymore.

killer400ex
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
hey i have a question, i have a lonestar racing double bearing carrier and i was wondering if i had to go through lonestar and but a rebuild kit for mine or if they are all interchangeable, but my bearings from lonestar lasted about 6 years of racing every weekend, and i forgot that i had to take the carrier out once and a while and grease it with the greese gun fitting, but yeah i raced gncc and mx so i have seen a ton of mud and plenty of airtime

drew416ex
07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
hey i have a question, i have a lonestar racing double bearing carrier and i was wondering if i had to go through lonestar and but a rebuild kit for mine or if they are all interchangeable, but my bearings from lonestar lasted about 6 years of racing every weekend, and i forgot that i had to take the carrier out once and a while and grease it with the greese gun fitting, but yeah i raced gncc and mx so i have seen a ton of mud and plenty of airtime

You can take the bearings out and get the size off of them and order from somewhere else.

uchi
07-04-2009, 05:50 AM
i havent pulled the axle yet, thats tomorrows task. but from the amount of play i have and by the tin piece of metal where the bearing should be, im gonna safely assume the bearing is completely done.

on a side note, for fun i called my local motorcycle parts place. they deal with hondas and sometimes prices are reasonable. but not usually. they want $63 for each bearing and $16 for each seal. im hoping the chick made a mistake and maybe they come in 2 packs. lol. i definatly wont be ordering from them