PDA

View Full Version : my exciting day

uchi
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
so i had a short day at work today and decided to take the 400 out for a spin with my buddy. havent had a real ride since i re geared so this was gonna be exciting. gears are short, real short, almost feels like im not using a 5th gear, theyre that short. but hitting the power band faster and harder makes up for it. only downside is we do alot of travelling between trails and that taller 5th would be nice, but for the trails its perfect. third gear i can lean back and stab the throttle and shell squat and blast over puddles.

so were getting ready to hammer a trail weve been eye balling for a bit of time and i start the feel the back end dancing around on me a little. think maybe its just the paved trail andi look down and see the back wheels moving in and out. i pull over and find that theres almost an inch of play at the wheel. ***. so i had to limp it back to my place in second gear basically coasting. and now its in the garage. waiting for it to cool down, and i think tomorrow im gonna start the disassembly of the carrier. hopefully its just bearings and nothing else got fried. maybe my damn shifter will arrive for the pred in the meantime and ill atleast have that to ride :D

07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
That really sucks. I have yet to have any trouble with my carrier... but i might swap it out for good measure.

uchi
07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
yeah man. really though its the first major thing to happen to the 400. i just changed the chain and sprockets last week, it had the original chain on it all this time, so a little bit of maintenance isnt a bad thing :)

ive got a buddy whos a motorcycle mechanic at a local place, i might just drop it off to him and throw some money at him.

lilyamaharacer4
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
The carrier bearings arent always the problem. Loose hubs,loose swingarm bolt.bad swingarm bearings, loose locknut will all also have your quad do the same thing.

powermadd400ex
07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
The carrier bearings arent always the problem. Loose hubs,loose swingarm bolt.bad swingarm bearings, loose locknut will all also have your quad do the same thing.

yep definatly check those before you take the rear end apart. and dont pay someone to replace the carrier bearings.
as long as you have the tools its not that difficult.

timmy400exfast
07-01-2009, 10:15 PM
check your swing arm bolt happened to me the beffening of spring took it off a jump when i left the whole back end swayed on me lol i was like wtf lol

uchi
07-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I jacked her up and the axle moves side to side and up and down inside of the carrier. Is the bolt you guys are refering to holding the carrier to the frame or is it that big ******* on the right side of the axle beside the brake rotor?

powermadd400ex
07-02-2009, 07:46 AM
the swingarm bolt is the bolt that connected the frame to the swinger. what you are looking at is the jam nut. if you end up replacing the carrier bearings(which judging by what you just told us you will most likely need new carrier bearings) heres a thread that helped me tremoundsly.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

honda400ex2003
07-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Just did mine again too. lol. it is not bad though. I made sure i locktited the crao out of the jam nut this time so it will not come loose on me. I got a new too cause the one i had was stripped out so it would not torque down on me. I think that is why mine wore out so fast in the first place. That is def. the bearings though if it is moving all over. hopefully they did not get wore enough to hit the insides of the carrier housing or you will be getting one of those too. lol. just keeps adding up doesnt it. steve