PDA

View Full Version : jetting question

jtt633
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
i tried searching but didn't find anything that really helped. I just put a stage 1 hot cam and a wiseco 12.5 to 1 piston in my outlaw and im wondering how much i need to change the jetting. im still waiting on my pipe and intake so for now those are both stock. i usually ride at about 5000 feet. the jetting is currently still the stock jets, so if someone could just give me a good starting point i can figure the rest out from there

Bradracer18
07-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, a cam and piston won't give you much(if not hurt you) in terms of performance until you get your intake and exhaust.

So, with that in mind...I'm betting it doesn't affect jetting much either, as you don't have any more air coming in to the engine, and no more exhaust leaving sooner either. However, they can change timing sometimes.....I'd be careful. Keep an eye on the plug color and go up if anything

wannaride4
07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
What wheeler are you jetting? The only jetting I have ever messed with is on my 08 525, I ordered a JD kit and it worked great. I ride about the same elev. of around 5000' also and these wheelers are lean right out of the box. Stock jets were 138 and the kit said to run a 160 and also they had me change needles. After changing the jetting to what the kit said to I put a 4.1 FMF slip on muffler and opened up the airbox. The wheeler runs great and the plug is a perfect color.

towman
07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
i have an 08 525s with an hmf slipon and a 155 main jet what should i put the needle at ???

Terminator2
10-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by towman
i have an 08 525s with an hmf slipon and a 155 main jet what should i put the needle at ???

If you have a lid-less stock airbox and are close to sea level I would run a 165-170 MJ and the stock needle with the clip on the 5th slot from the top which will richen it a little. If you want an idiot proof solution buy JD's jet kit. It has specific instructions for altitude, temperature and modifications (I think).

towman
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I GPT THE WHEELER RUNNING REAL GOOD BUT I WOULD LIKE IT TO RUN A BIT COOLER AND SHOULD I CHANGE MY PILOT JET AT ALL