PDA

View Full Version : Bad crank seals??

SHIFTx450
07-01-2009, 11:38 AM
i ride an 06 er.. hot cam stg2, full 05 curtis sparks, jetted, quickshot2, and i just took it apart for a rebuild. 'twas time... i noticed the rings practically falling off the piston, so it was perfect timing. also discovered a small crack in the head between a valve and a spark plug hole. not sure what to do with that either..
so the issue i'm having is there has been motor oil getting into my trans. anyone else come across this? someone mentioned crank seals. don't know anything about them. i'm assuming they're the bearings the crank rides on? how do they get replaced? and is that def. my problem?

Scro
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Most of the time, when oil is swapping, it's the crank seals. The one you will need to replace is on the clutch side. It's not hard to replace. All you will have to do is remove the side cover, and clutch basket. The seal goes around the output shaft of the crank. It's not hard to find. Be sure you pay attention to which way it goes. Putting it in backwards will ruin the new seal.

As far as the crack in the head, I've never had that happen. If it were me, I would be looking for a new head. The chances that it's warped are pretty good, since it's already cracked.

SHIFTx450
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Ok.. Well check it out.. I am not at home right now, and won't be for a few days. I am looking at some schematics from ronniesmailorder.com of the clutch assembly, and another of the crankcase assembly. There is multiple parts that I can assume would be the crank seal. Do you have any specific part numbers on this seal? Or knowledge of somebody I can just call up and obtain this part? Thanks

Oh, and btw, I emailed Curtis Sparks about the crack in my head and some port work while I was at it.. They said they're backed up with the port work right now, f*ckers, and as far as the crack goes, that if it's small enough not to even worry about it.. Hmm.. Not sure what to think about that, just thought i'd share it for a second opinion.

SHIFTx450
07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
come on, nobody else has had to do their crank seal??

dads400ex
07-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Number 35 on your crankcase fiche, part number 91202-HP1-601

OIL SEAL (39X60X7.5) (Honda Code 8179871)

SHIFTx450
07-08-2009, 05:06 AM
Thankyou.

dads400ex
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
no problem