PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clutch need help ASAP.

nakomis0
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I just put on a new starter clutch and the book says....

"Check for proper clutch installation by installing the driven gear onto the clutch. The gear must be rotated counterclockwise while fitting it onto the clutch."

"NOTE: The gear should freely turn counterclockwise, and lockup when turned clockwise. If the gear turns and locks in the opposite direction, the clutch is installed upside down. Remove, install and check the clutch a second time."

Well I put this on the driving gear and it turns clockwise. I don't see how the clutch could be installed upside down, cause it can only go in one way.

This is probably something very little I overlooked but I want to get this together ASAP and thought I would ask.

If you have any ideas let me know. i'll be out working on it.

I also dont understand this part,
"The gear must be rotated counterclockwise while fitting it onto the clutch."
I'm not rotating it I'm just sliding it on...

nakomis0
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Ok after looking at this I'm going to have to say the manual doesn't know what the hells its talking about.

I put the flywheel on. The arrow on the flywheel is pointed counterclockwise. The main drive gear behind it locks up counterclockwise and spins clockwise. This sounds so right in my head.

If anyone sees whats wrong post cause I'm putting this crap together and, its hard to swallow the manual is wrong, but I believe it is or I can't read and comprehend.

katch26
07-01-2009, 10:17 AM
you cant just slide it on. you have to rotate the gear to open up the one way clutch, pushing it on can damage it

nakomis0
07-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Well I put it together threw the case cover on and the idle gear.. just to give it a quick test. Put it in neutral and hit the starter button, it seemed to turn the motor over correctly. So I think its right.

I tried rotating the gear counterclockwise while installing like the book said but as soon as it touched the oneway would stop it. So I don't know.

nakomis0
07-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I hope its not in wrong. Like I said it seems to work but...

:confused: