PDA

View Full Version : leaks gas?

unitednations
07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
My 400 leaks gas out of the over flow after i get done riding the float is good and the pin is good. Any ideas?

storms400ex
07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
sounds like it needs a new needle and seat

unitednations
07-01-2009, 10:15 AM
What is the needle and seat? Is the needle the thing that goes through the hole?

sorry I'm not very good with carburetors. :(

86 Quad R
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
chances are that the float needle is bad and/or the seat just needs a good polishing.

07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Check the float for gunk and build up... then clean it out good with carburetor cleaner. It could be sticking a bit.

Rkangel7
07-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Does it leak when level, or does it only leak when the quad is on an incline? Mine usually leaks gas from the overflow only if I stand it on the grab bar or leave it on a steep incline without shutting the fuel off. I will also get a few drips when I load it in the back of the truck. It doesn't leak when level. I always thought this was somewhat normal and was told that it's because the overflow goes below the normal fuel level in these situations. Could I have been misinformed? Now you all have me a little concerned about my carb, too...

flyboy1294
07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
My carb did the same thing. The float was getting stuck open. A temporary fix is to shut the gas 'off' and let it idle for a minute or two before shutting it off. This drains the bowel and should tide you over until you decide to tear it open and work on it.

unitednations
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Mine will drip every so often when im driving it, then when i shut it off it will pour out. I took the carb apart and it looked fine( i filled it up and it didn't leak) cleaned it out and i ordered a new float and valve. Got them both cheap together so ill see if that fixes it.

Its fine if it leaks on an incline. They made the fuel level so close to the top that even the slightest raise in gas it will cause it to come out.

Snipe
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
The needle and the seat are under the float. it controls flow of gas. If its bad it will drain gas out of the overflow. Might be something worth changing will only cost like $7 or so.