PDA

View Full Version : ATC Question

TravEX
01-06-2003, 01:43 PM
1984 ATC200S

i got in a few weeks ago, and i've been having problems with spark plugs,,,it is stock jetting 35 pilot 100 main, always starts on the first pull, smokes very little (after 6hrs on this oil change it hasn't moved on the dipstick), the muffler is gutted, and it has a brand new UNI filter on it,,,

the problem is when i first got it I would have to change spark plugs (NGK D8EA) about every 20 minutes the engine was running, I talked with redrider ex (thanks!), cause he has one, and i adjusted the air/fuel screw out 1 1/2 turns and I put a 400EX plug in it (NGK DPR8Z), that really helped out because now i can go 1 hour on a plug (woo hoo!),,,when the plug won't start the engine any more it's wet with gas, and is black, but no build up on the plug,,,and what is weird is all it needs is a dry plug, like I can have 2 plugs and just keep changing the same ones out when the other quits, so the plugs aren't fouled,,,

can anyone help, please???

later

PHIL_B54
01-06-2003, 04:16 PM
i just got rid of my 85' 200s and it did the same thing 10min and bam fouled plug, i gave it to my uncle. he said that he was planning on a carb rebuild and a cleaning, the idle screw would not adjust anything at all, it would run the same in or out

if he finds something, i'll let you know

phil

DaveEX7
01-06-2003, 04:27 PM
sell that piece of junk 200 and put that money into ur 400;) :D

TravEX
01-06-2003, 04:47 PM
thanks phil_b,,,

piece of junk?, i love that little thing, and in the cold it starts A LOT quicker than my EX, I dread even trying to start my EX when it's below 40 degrees outside!,,,and too, i'm kinda at a stopping point on the 400, cause it's just a toy anyway,,,,

TORO1968
01-06-2003, 07:09 PM
I have two 1983 ATC 200's and from my experience and research, you probably just need a carb rebuild or replacement. The problem with the Keihin carbs on the old 200's are that the air bleeds like to get clogged and seem to be pretty much impossible to clean out. I've tried everything I have - Berryman B-9 Chemtool carb cleaner, compressed air, and even piano wire. I always think I get everything clean, but it never fails, I end up with the same problem you have. This only happens on one of my 200's, the other one always runs perfect.

I don't know if your plug is too cold or not, but I run a stock-spec NGK DR8ES-L plug in both of mine, and they seem to work well.

You might end up having to get a new carb, which I'm gonna have to do as well for my more worn-out 200, but what sucks is that they cost like $150 or so.

I have an old issue of 4 Wheel Action that talks about this problem, let me dig it up and see what else it says.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more info.

-Jordan

TravEX
01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
THANKS for the info!

I'll try the different plug to see if that helps a little,,,

thanks again

300exazzkikr
01-06-2003, 08:08 PM
My friend got one of those a while back, it wouldn't run. He cleaned out the carb. Still wouldn't run. Then he adjusted the valves and it cranked right over. It runs good now. Just trying to throw some info out.

TravEX
01-06-2003, 08:22 PM
i need to check the valve adjustment, but it looks like it is really going to be a pain to get to the intake valve, cause the frame appears to be in the way?!,,,oh well, if i just have to carry extra plugs with me that will be fine,,,later

TRX_Thumper
01-06-2003, 08:29 PM
set the valves and check float in the carb make sure it aint sticking and is in spec.....that should fix the prob

4punksdad
01-06-2003, 10:22 PM
toro gave you good suggestions. the plugs are no doubt wet fouled due to too much fuel.

TORO1968
01-07-2003, 05:21 AM
Yeah, the intake valve is a b!tch to adjust because of the frame tube, even with the recommended Honda valve adjustment tool. You kind of have to jam the tool in at a slight angle, but it gets the job done. I highly recommend purchasing one.

Definitely adjust your valves, clean the carb, and throw in a carb rebuild kit while it's apart. If that doesn't work you might need a new carb.

I was thinking, and this could be the problem on one of my 200's as well, could it be that your problem is not the carb, but a weak spark, or both? The coil could be going bad or the contacts under the CDI cover might need cleaned. I don't have any experience on this stuff as I have never had to tear into either of my three wheelers' electrical systems.

Does anyone else know if the ignition system could be to blame?

-Jordan

TravEX
01-07-2003, 06:15 AM
thanks for the suggestions!

the spark does seem weak, but all i'm going by is taking the plug out and holding it to the block while someone pulls the crank rope, it's hard to see the spark even on a new plug, and it doesn't "pop" like i think it should,,,

i'll try these things ya'll have suggested, i've got a carb rebuild ordered and i'll check the valves and contacts,,,

are the valve clearances like a 400EX .004 intake, .005 exhaust?

later

TORO1968
01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
That's how I always check my spark. Are you checking it in the dark? That might help you see if the spark is good or not. I was looking in my owner's manual, and the valve clearances for an '83 200cc (non-200x) engine are 0.002 inches for both the intake and exhaust valves. Most likely, this spec is the same for your '84, but I could be wrong.

Have you adjusted your cam chain tensioner yet? If you haven't, it'll probably quiet up your engine quite a bit. Oh yeah, clean out the spark arrestor on the muffler as well IF you can get it out. Both of mine are stuck, but I put on a new exhaust on my nicer 200.

Here's a pic of my nicer one... :)

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~panichj/3w3.jpg

-Jordan

TravEX
01-07-2003, 01:54 PM
thanks for the valve clearance info,,,no, i haven't adjusted the cam chain tensioner, care to tell me how to do it?,,,as for the muffler it is rusted out and basically gutted, just the hull of the muffler left,,,thanks alot for your help!

Trav

hondaboy400ex
01-07-2003, 02:32 PM
bring a litter with u when u go riding and u can dry the plug that way and its eazer to start that way

TravEX
01-07-2003, 04:17 PM
do you mean a 'lighter',hehe,,,the plug has time to dry out on its own by the time i need it,,,

TORO1968
01-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey,

Here's the cam chain tensioner adjusting procedure from my owner's manual. On the left side of the three wheeler, if you look behind the cylinder, you'll find a rubber cap. It's on the top of the left side engine case, right behind the cylinder.

1. Start the engine and let it idle.
2. Remove the rubber cap and loosen the tensioner adjusting bolt (It's the larger bolt at the base of the two bolt adjuster assembly). DO NOT attempt to loosen the 6mm bolt while adjusting. Just loosen the bigger bottom bolt. If I remember right, the 6mm bolt will turn with the larger one, but don't try to loosen it separately. Just loosen the bolt, but don't really back it out. When the adjusting bolt is loosened, the cam chain tensioner will automatically position itself to provide the correct cam chain tension. You should hear the engine get noticably quieter once the tensioner adjusts.
3. Retighten the tensioner adjusting bolt and install the rubber cap.

Hope this helps, but if you have any questions, let me know.

-Jordan

TravEX
01-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Thank you very much for your help!,,,I'm waiting on some bolts and stuff to come in from Partsfish.com to put on it, so i'm gonna leave it tore down for a while, but I know what your talking about on the cam chain tensioner and I'll do that as soon as I start it again,,,

I took the CDI plate off and found what looks to be 19 years of carbon/residue on the points (that's what i call em),,,so i hope that this will help it out,,,

I adjusted the valves yesterday to .002/.002,,,

Thanks again for your and everyone else's help!

TravEX
01-30-2003, 04:22 PM
IT'S FIXED!!!

thanks for all the help!

i adjusted the cam chain tensioner, and MAN did it quieten it down!

it runs great now, and i've got a carb rebuild kit that will go in this weekend, and that will complete my work,,,

I haven't had to change plugs since!

thanks again for all the help!

Travis

4punksdad
01-30-2003, 04:43 PM
cool...........

TORO1968
01-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Sweet...

Glad to hear that you got it running right. Hey, post pics when you get everything done if you can.

I knew that adjusting your timing chain would make a huge difference!. I know when I did mine, I couldn't believe how much my engine quieted down.

Hey, have you checked out www.3wheelerworld.com ?? This is, by far, the best three wheeler site on the net.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

-Jordan

TravEX
01-31-2003, 05:59 AM
i've got some pics being developed and will post them when i get em,,,