PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Reserves??

trailrider894
06-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I am planning on joining the Air Force Reserves. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the Air Force?? Or anything i should know about?? Pro's and Con's to joining?? Or would you recommened the Army,Navy Reserves over the Air Force Reserves??

I-7
07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Air Reserves or National Guard is not a bad gig. It depends on where you are and what you want to do though. Did you just graduate high school? The guard is good for those out of high school who want to serve their country and still move on with their education because they will offer you some money. Its also good for those with a family who will be able to keep in touch more than those in active duty. Go talk to a recruiter from the different branches and see what you like best. I personally just joined the US Coast Guard and leave for basic training Aug 25th. With the economy how it is right now the military is starting to stiffen up their requirements. I know that the NAVY has filled its quota for the year and has ceased much of its recruiting and same with the Coast Guard. If you haven't taken your ASVAB I recommend studying and make sure your in good shape. Good luck with whatever you decide on. I am sorry that I don't have much experience wit the Air Guard specifically

trailrider894
07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
na a junior in high school now!! i am really looking forward to working in the military though!!!

F-16Guy
07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
It's a pretty good deal for life experience, gaining a vocation, and paying for college or some other professional certification. Are you considering joining as elisted after high school? What kind of job/career are you interested in aside from the military? One of the best things you can do to fully utilize your military experience is to try to enter into a career field that interests you and that you would consider doing as a civilian. There are many, many Air Force specialties (AFSCs), so it's almost certain that you can find something that coincides with your interests.

That being said, I would recommend that you consider doing an active duty enlistment for 4 or 6 years and then going into the reserves. That time will fly by, and you'll gain a number of important benefits ove being a traditional reservist:

-- Active Duty experience. You'll gain knowledge that would take years to learn as a Traditional Reservist (TR).
-- Chapter 30 GI Bill. The Reserve GI Bill is basically tuition reimbursement, while the active duty GI Bill (Chapter 30) is a lump payment per month of enrollment based on how many credit hours you're taking. You can pocket a nice chunk of change every month with chapter 30, and even more if your Reserve career field qualifies for a kicker (additional money that the reserves throws on top of your chapter 30 benefits). My benefits with the reserve kicker was almost $1400/mo. for full time classes back in 2002.
--ART Positions. I am an Air Reserve Technician (ART) right now. It's a full time civilian job that's tied to you reserve position. People with experience (especially active duty experience) in a certain AFSC can apply for an ART position at a reserve base and get a good paying full time civilian career with benefits.

You can do the straight reserve thing, but doing an active duty tour is really fun, give you a much wider breadth of experiences, and opens a lot more doors for your eventual reserve career. It goes by very quickly even though it may not seem like it could.

trailrider894
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Well i like Media. I know that the army has something with that but i don't know about the air force. But yet i want something that is going to be challenging not just a walk in the park. What is the difference between Active Duty and Reserve?

scuzz
07-02-2009, 08:55 AM
You sure can't beat the benefits!

UNBROKEN
07-02-2009, 08:56 PM
reserve means that u will be in that branch but u will be home as a civilian , i just enlisted in the army as a 25L i ship to BCT nov 16, good luck on ure desion its very hard one