PDA

View Full Version : lt80 electrical help

woodrow7777
06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
so i am having a hard time with my daugthers bike.. she hit some puddles and the start button quit working.. i bought a new ona and still wont turn over.. when you jump the starter off the battery it turns over just fine. i bought a new harness and that didnt correct hte problem either.

here is my question can i wire the stator to an on off switch then from the on off switch to the rectifier/ coil? and just bypass all the other crap?

it has the pull start so i am thinking this will work?

any help would be appreciated

thx aaron

LT80
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm weak on the electrics, but from what I read..
You can wire the motor side of the stator (red and black wire) to a switch (tether/key/etc) and direct to the coil and CDI.
That's what we did for the racers. The older LT's just had a CDI/coil all in 1.
You do understand that the above has nothing to do with the starter issue?!

woodrow7777
07-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by LT80
I'm weak on the electrics, but from what I read..
You can wire the motor side of the stator (red and black wire) to a switch (tether/key/etc) and direct to the coil and CDI.
That's what we did for the racers. The older LT's just had a CDI/coil all in 1.
You do understand that the above has nothing to do with the starter issue?!

yeash i am i just tired of throwing money at it and she is ready to ride so i am trying this.. hopefully wiring this thing this way will eliminate all the excess wires and she can just ride the darn thing!!

thx guys!

AUSSIE80
07-10-2009, 04:35 AM
hey fella try bridging each of the switches in starter circuit one at a time or test each switch with a multimetre on continuity/ buzzer function switch off - no beep, switch on should beep, check earth on same setting, one probe on negative at battery one on exposed bolt on frame, rusty/dirty earth will give grief,if you still have old loom fit it roughly and cut wires to switches and join isolating each switch one at a time, also could be starter relay if fitted

woodrow7777
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM
got it fixed... just ran a couple wires from the stator to the coil and ran a start button to the starter.. and hooked a power button up to the stator/coil connection... seems to work fine. she has rode it all week without issues!

thx for the help guys!!