PDA

View Full Version : built typhoon for sale

aarond
06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
2007 typhoon 125 ,replaced motor with a class legal crf cases ,takegawa crank,cylinder piston ,oil pump ect, has takegawa special clutch,over 17 hp, i have 3500 just into the motor,stil stock shocks, frame was dissasembled ,gusseted ,repainted candy maroon,candy prple a arms and swingarms,very fast ,takegawa kit has over 17 hp,we raced in the 90 mod but are only racing in the 70 class with our apex now.its actually a viva but is the same exact quad.aluminum bars ,schock covers,new grips , good tires.. 1500 obo must move it out. email me at angieaaron@sbcglobal.net

Ride1Rob
06-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm confused... Is this a Typhoon or a knockoff? Also, would help to post up pics.

aarond
06-30-2009, 09:21 PM
If you want to call it a knockoff,we had a true extreme and i bought this online it is a viva , it was all identical to the typhoon,everything except for the motor and the price.it was the same,we sold the typhoon last year and built this one with the money ,trust me there the same quad except that the nerf bars are steel and not aluminum.if you ar einterested i will take some pics and send you a link,the moneys in the motor .i will take pics and post them .

Ride1Rob
07-01-2009, 06:10 AM
I think the only difference in other than the motor would be a rear brace on the frame. The earlier Typhoons (06's) were having issues snapping back there. They modified the frames and that got rid of the problem. I don't think the knockoffs have that fix. Not the one's I've seen anyway. I don't mean to be a jerk but alot of Typhoon's bad rap has come from cheap knockoffs. If it doesn't have the Xtreme decal and Manufacturing sticker with dates, cc's, etc... it's not a Typhoon. The bikes may LOOK the same, but they're not the same.

Posting pics would always be helpful no matter what you're selling. I'm sure you could even answer no to purchasing something for $1500 that you have never seen what condition it's in.

Hanksdad
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey Rob, even the majority of the copys include this brace installed now. It is just the plate behind the motor that connects the lower frame rails to the back. Most of the good "copies" are the same minus engine. "Good", means if the swinger is correct and the a-arms than so is the rest of the roller down to the handgrips. From what I can tell, the overpriced "original" xtreme's engine isn't worth owning or paying the extra for when all the cranks seem weak and the "better" trannys are still not very smoothe. Most people will replace the stock engine no matter which version they buy with a relatively inexpensive aftermarket one that will outperform all the stockers if they decide to go racing. A lot of typhoons bad rap come from Xtreme brand cranks snapping period. I don't see anyone typing that there copy xtreme engine's cranks snapping. The original isn't any better than the one we own. In fact it isn't any different at all. even the density of the seat foam and cover material are identical. I will take a picture of any point on the quad i own you may think would be different for comparison. Frame specs (diameters of tubes, any bracing, quality of workmanship), oem tires, bolt patterns, swingarm construction, calipers, hubs steering stem, anything. I paid 1500 shipped to my door brand new. It is a 125 four speed no reverse semi-auto N-1-2-3-4 tranny with kick and electric. It comes with same exhaust, plastics, nerfs and bumpers. Runs strong starts easy. I may be venting a bit here, I am just tired of everyone trying to convince people that you have to buy the Original Xtreme. I have read numerous posts of people having difficulty ordering replacement parts from the Xtreme company. Pay attention to the swinger and a-arms. If these parts are correct and the frame is either silver or orange you are probably okay. I personally have never searched it, but I would be willing to bet the same company makes the frame for all the different brands. Make sure it has the rear frame brace-plate and and the swing-arm bearing carrier should be a clamp style with pinch bolts. Though many people like the a-arms with the upper shock mounts rather thant the underside mounts, this may be a sign of other variances from the original Xtreme design. The economy is in the crapper, save your money Buy a good copy and enjoy it. They are great machines for the money. Mine came stock with mikuni carb. In fact, I bet you could probably get on e-bay and buy the exact one I have now for the same price. It is listed as the original but it isn't. But, as I have said I believe it's the same so I didn't care. Sorry if I upset the apple cart but this is a place for opinions and comments.

Ride1Rob
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
There are some good copies out there. Don't get me wrong. But there are those that fall apart or breakdown when you track them or beat them pretty good. I know SSR makes a nice Typhoon look a like but I really haven't seen any others personally. You exactly right about the motors. Mine lasted almost a year and a half and the way I look at it is it was time for him to move on to a full manual shift anyway. If I knew then what I know now I'd have bought a 70 and trashed the motor after I got it home and popped in what I'm running now. That would have only been around $1500 with the setup we have now minus the carb, bars, and elkas. Still, with what I paid ($1900) with the Lifan 150, Elkas, bars, Pitster exhaust, and VM26 carb I'm still under $3,000 for a fully built race quad. Not bad when he's competing against built DRR's and Apex's that run around $2600 stock before the mods. Even with a cheap knockoff you can't go wrong if you modify the frame and swap the motor to withstand the beating.

markvette
07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
to set the record straight . there are no copies. they are all built at the same Chinese factory. i know this for a fact. i know kenny vaughn and have been to his shop in texas a few times. i know lane who use to own xtreme till he sold out to the chinese, i have been to xtreme in Arkansas a few times. i was in xtremes booth at the indy show 2 years in a row. billy holt and i set lane up with kenny to build the prototype. we took a custom viper that kenny had built to lane to be copied but lane decided he wanted to use as many parts as he could from the pit bikes. he told kenny this and kenny worked up the prototype. sorry to break the bubble but again they all come from the same factory. most the extras that the typhoon have are added by the dealer after he gets the quads. i put 10 frame plates and steering stem collars on 10 quads myself a few years ago.

Mark

markvette
07-09-2009, 12:00 AM
this is the viper that was supposed to be copied to build the first xtreme.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/quaddad1958/f8db5148-1.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/quaddad1958/f8db69cb-1.jpg

Ride1Rob
07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
We all know the bikes are built in the same factory. The Lifan motor in Jams bike comes from the exact same factory as the Honda motors but it's still a Honda clone. There are certain parts that Honda adds/takes away to make the difference. The same goes for some of the Yamaha Mini cycle and mini quad motors. We continously see off brand Typhoon look a likes being sold as Typhoon's and they're not. Why doesn't Lexus call themselves Toyota? Or Acura put on the Honda logo. They are all made in the same factory and in most instances share the exact same parts and even look alike. my son has run his Typhoon with the original motor against other knockoffs that other than the stickers and motors you could not tell the difference. But when they hit the track there would be parents walking up to me wondering why my sons bike is so much faster than the other look a likes. They really get confused when I tell them they're not the same bikes. But once I show them the small differences such as the gussets (although pooly done) and the motors they see my point.