PDA

View Full Version : making my own heatshield

uchi
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
decided to go at this as my pred is missing the one on the front and ive burnt my leg twice now. from the looks of it any kind of metal will probably be ok its just a matter of leaving a gap between it and the exhaust. so ill play with some stuff and see what i can come up with. feel free to chime in if you have any information :)

MtnEX
06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
The best thing to do I think is just wrap the exhaust with that exhaust wrap stuff.

It should make riding cooler and also keep you from getting burned.

uchi
06-30-2009, 05:01 AM
Good call. I completely forgot about header wrap. Ill see if I can find some in black.

bbender85
06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
i wrapped my header, only because a buddy gave me some leftovers for free.

it will still get hot, but it is better; if you dont plan on running a heatshield with the wrap, cut the mounts off the header, or your boots will rub holes thru the wrap on the edges of the mount.

aDviSol2y
06-30-2009, 08:24 AM
If your gonna use some kind of metal for a heat sheild, use aluminum. It disapates heat faster. I had the same problem with my exhaust, I used aluminum diamond plate and it worked wonders.

katch26
06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
stock headpipe? you could prob find a repl heatshield on the bay for close to material cost (maybe). I also sent mine out for ceramic coating at moorepower.com, I think it was like 50 bucks or so

uchi
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
from what im told its got a header and im guessing since the pipe is hindle that its gotta be a hindle aswell. i have no problem bending a plate cutting it and drilled some holes :) i might just do that, see if i can find me some free aluminum :D

katch26
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
interesting Ive never seen a hindle head pipe just the slip on......just get it done already lol

uchi
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
i might wrap it and then put a shield over it to keep the bolts from eating the wrap, wrap it to keep the heat in for a little more go :D

bbender85
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by uchi
i might wrap it and then put a shield over it to keep the bolts from eating the wrap, wrap it to keep the heat in for a little more go :D

thats how i run it now.

also i think it tones the noise down a little too, because my pipe should be way louder than it is with the hours it has on it; so that's an added bonus.

MtnEX
06-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
thats how i run it now.

also i think it tones the noise down a little too, because my pipe should be way louder than it is with the hours it has on it; so that's an added bonus.

Alright now man... I clicked on "PIC"

Now you gotta give up some more...
I hadn't seen it since you did your scoops.
Are those made of the lower fenders?

bbender85
07-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Alright now man... I clicked on "PIC"

Now you gotta give up some more...
I hadn't seen it since you did your scoops.
Are those made of the lower fenders?

yep. :) i haven't fully finished them, so i've been putting off posting a thread about them.