PDA

View Full Version : hinson basket

jlrenken
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
well i was working on my quad and thought the clutch pulled funny. took the side off and found this. i bought it late jan. and have about a dozen races on it. dont know what happen. the funny thing is that i dont shift alot on most of the tracks that i go too. i am usually in third and sometimes forth most of the time i stay in third. im calling hinson tomarrow to see what we can do.

jlrenken
06-29-2009, 08:36 PM
another

crixal
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
did you find the piece that broke off?

jlrenken
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
ya there were two of them

LTR450_#67
06-30-2009, 02:50 AM
That sucks Jamie..... I hope Hinson works something out for ya....

later
Aaron

jlrenken
06-30-2009, 06:14 AM
ya well i might give the motoworks atry little spendy but its a full clutch.

nvrpmx
06-30-2009, 10:50 AM
we have over 40 hours on a motoworks kit and the only thing we have changed is the friction plates. I know these have been tortured by the pros and no failures yet.

jlrenken
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
well i didnt put this up to say how bad hinson is or anything like that. i just was showing that anything can happen stock or aftermarket. i know guys who have used that hinson and never had a prob. i plan on putting it back in when i get it back. just wanted everyone to know im not trying to bash anyone.
thanks

jlrenken
06-30-2009, 03:05 PM
nvrpmx
what kind of oil r u using.

TNT
06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Did you have the 2009-9 clutch update done and where you running the 09 or 08 hub, plates? I think thus far this season we have seen very little 08-09 clutch failures that have the updated stock basket, hub, # plates. If you run the hinson basket you still need the update.

jlrenken
07-01-2009, 06:31 AM
no im just running the 08 clutch. i never had any squeeling so i never changed it. even on the stock hub never had any issuse the reason i change to hinson is that the rivets that hold the gear on were stripping out so i went to hinson. at that time i probly had 70hrs on the stock clutch and plates. this will be the first time i have changed the clutch plates.

jlrenken
07-01-2009, 12:21 PM
what is the benefit of adding another friction plate on the 09 update. are the three piece clutch setup the same on both.

nvrpmx
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
We use motul 10/40 from Jan. to June and now with the warmer temps. we use 20/50 both are a non synthetic oil.

TNT
07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I fitted the 09 parts together and looked at them closely, the 2009-9 update from what I gather changed the inner hub geometrically between 08 and 09, and if I remember right the part #’s are different too. So the assembly has changed, the way the hub interfaces with the basket, plates, etc…..I did not have a blue print to see exactly how but my guess is to keep the plates and basket from breaking. The 08/09 baskets are the same, 2009-9 did not redesign the basket just the inner hub and the # of plates, I believe to obtain adequate pressure, prevent slippage, plate wear and failure. Replacing just the basket w/aftermarket really does not solve the problem at the assembly level.

There are a lot of factors that can cause a clutch to fail that’s why you won’t find any rhyme or reason behind it, but if I were you whether it be stock or aftermarket purchase an assembly that has been designed and tested together, use an oil recommended by the OEM, and keep up with the recommended maintenance intervals. This kind of failure can be catastrophic and ruin an engine so be conservative.

Good luck!

ScottB125
07-04-2009, 11:27 AM
My clutch broke today....does Hinson make a complete clutch assembly?

TNT
07-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Scott, sorry to hear that….

I don’t want to mislead anyone a Hinson assy if available is going to be expensive but makes me wonder what blue print a company like this builds too? I doubt BRP released theirs for after market companies to build to. That leaves what I call “reverse engineering” and sometimes that is necessary. I see it all the time when mod’s have taken things out of the design configuration you have to measure parts to redesign-blue print them. Needless to say there are flaws in that approach due to tolerances that the part(s) were built to in the first place, so nominal dimensions may be lost. Couple that w/ a 08 outdate assy and problems like this can arise.

Some companies are better than others at it, I hear Motoworks who works closely w/BRP has a proven tested assembly that is reasonable priced, if not the 09 stock retrofit should work fine. If you use just the Hinson basket(which is a good one) which some have successfully, I’d recommend getting the 2009-9 update too. I think Chris did that and all is well.

Good luck!

Terry

ScottB125
07-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I decided to take a look at the the clutches/basket today. When I pulled the cover, all the fingers were on the basket. I decided to go ahead and pull it out to see if something else let go. As I get to the large nut....that holds everything tight....its not even tight....its a few threads from falling off. So that was my problem.

What I am worried about is there were alot of metal pieces on my oil drain plug. Not bearing material, more looked to be cast metal.

This my first time to tear into an ATV clutch, does the basket just slide out...mine binds up when trying to slide it out. Normal or am I missing something?

I took mine in a few months ago for the rear engine bolt upgrade....could they have left that nut loose when they did this? Also, just for the hell of it, would they have upgraded the clutches? How would I know?

Thanks

Blizzard24
07-05-2009, 06:43 PM
I did the Hinson basket and the 09 update (The best of both worlds) no issues yet.

To pull the basket off, you need to take more than just the clutch cover off, you have to take the side cover off as well, you will need a new gasket and drain the oil and antifreeze.

let me know if you have any other questions

PS... when you install the big nut make sure you use loctite as recommended in the service manual.

-Chris

ScottB125
07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Chris...thanks for that info. I was wondering WTF was going on...lol. I didn't find anything wrong with the clutch. I'm going to upgrade regardless.

Has anyone used the Hinson basket with Motoworks internals? I was thinking of doing that?

Anyone know the torque on the nut, for some reason 70ft/lbs is the number that pops into my head???

Thanks for the help!

Blizzard24
07-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by ScottB125
Chris...thanks for that info. I was wondering WTF was going on...lol. I didn't find anything wrong with the clutch. I'm going to upgrade regardless.

Has anyone used the Hinson basket with Motoworks internals? I was thinking of doing that?

Anyone know the torque on the nut, for some reason 70ft/lbs is the number that pops into my head???

Thanks for the help!

Scott, if you are thinking about the Motoworks internals, just use their basket as well, there would be no advantage to use Hinson at that point.

I just want to know when some aftermarket clutch companies are going to make some thicker metal clutch plates for these things, they are super thin.

jlrenken
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
hinson is standing behind there product i should recieve my new on first of next week.