PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 660 Problems....Help?

ngs926
06-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Here is the story... I am an experienced mechanic and this Raptor has me stumped. A good friend of mine buys this Raptor with a few problems and asks me if I can do the work..Well of course I cant say no lol ...Here is the history the guy he had bought it from replaced the tranny with the updated parts...but the only way to start the bike is with the clutch pulled in even in neutral...let the clutch out and it tries to roll forward then dies. My first thought tranny is locked somehow...So the long task of tearing it apart begins. all the way down cases split(many cursewords directed mainly at previous owner later..) The trans looks fine, no jams, forks look good although there was one 1mm washer on the countershaft that was not supposed to be there...Removed it..Put the cases back together rolled the gears around to make sure it shifted before putting the clutch in and installing everything again. I finish putting every thing back together and in the bike it goes.I felt a sense of accomplishment...That is until I started it.. It let me start it in neutral the first time but I could feel drag like it was trying to move forward, gave it a little gas and it begun to get worse till it bound up and stalled. got it in reverse and it does the same the drag in the forward direction till it stalls. now it only starts with the clutch in..back to square one...I figured I would humble myself and ask for help before i took it out back set it on fire...
it will not roll now not even in neutral.

Ok clutch cover is off and clutch pack is out...Now it all works right again..shifts and the wheels spin in neutral. Problem is the clutch pack is assembled in the right order with the right amount of plates?..ughh i'm stumped...

BakerRacing40
07-02-2009, 01:38 PM
not sure how many plates actually go in it. when your putting plates and fibers back in you start with a fiber and end with a fiber. if it were me i'd put the clutch back together, if the fibers and plates look good soak them in oil all night, put them in and get new clutch springs and button every thing up. i'd leave the cover off and pull the clutch lever and make sure its pulling right and disengaging correctly, adjust the cable and lever right and if it looks good cover on, oil in and see what she does...

BakerRacing40
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
8 fiber plates and 7 steel plates according to hinson racing