PDA

View Full Version : spark plug help

uchi
06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
2 things, first ive got an 04 500 pred and i need to change the plug, where the hell is it and how do i get to it? also mines got a +4 mile crank, would i still run the stock plug? and whats the number for the plug as i cant seem to find it. thanks

uchi
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
summa *****, i figured it out. not impressed, lol

preddy brian
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
it is a pain in tha *** just to chage the plug, isn't it. Just did mine the other day.

uchi
07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Its not that bad. You remove the plastics from the sides undo the tank undo the fuel line and slide the tank out. I could probably do it all in ten minutes now.

preddy brian
07-05-2009, 10:19 PM
yeah, but the job should take less than a minute. not too hard but a pain.

uchi
07-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Ill agree with you there. On my 400 its a 1 minute job. I do a plug every few months so this will become a chore very quickly. Hey since there's another pred guy here. With you suspension unweighted. Just the weight of the quad on it. How much slack is in your chain?

Bradracer18
07-06-2009, 11:58 AM
On the pred...slack in the chain shouldn't change from sitting there, to someone sitting on it, to jumping it. I think you are supposed to have like a 1/4" of slack....

uchi
07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
it looks like the slack gets taken out some when theres weight on it. i know on my 400 its about 1.5 inches of slack, but i cant fin the info in the service manual

Bradracer18
07-07-2009, 08:32 AM
It might look that way, but shouldn't be that way. Its ecentric(hell I can't spell), but basically when you jump it as opposed to it sitting there, you don't have to do the guess work of when you will jump a big jump and break your chain.

What I used to do(back in my 400 days) was take a ratchet strap and tie to the axle and bumper, and squat it down...then check slack. should need just a "little" which I call about 1/4".

uchi
07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
alright cool thanks man. mines got alot of slack in it, hope i can get it out without having to remove any links. had her out for the first ride today, was waiting on a new shifter. shes fast, real fast :D

katch26
07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
the eccentric is how its adjusted same as the 400ex.

Checking Chain Tension:
Check the amount of chain slack by moving the
vehicle slightly forward to gain slack at the top side of
the rear chain.
1. Collapse the suspension with an adjustable
(buckle type) trailer tie down strap (A). Fasten the
strap around the axle and rear bumper tube.
2. Tighten the strap until a straight line (B) can be
drawn from the axle to the transmission output
shaft, intersecting the swing arm pivot. This
establishes the tightest chain position.
3. At this point (C) the chain should have 1/4” - 3/8“ (0.6 -0.9 cm) deflection.

uchi
07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
perfect thanks bud, this is on tomorrows list of things to do :D

check my thread in the 400 section on my first offical ride in this thing, it was pretty intense. i got off with a huge smile on my face :D and that hole this thing makes too much power and im a little afraid of it thing has passed already, infact id like some more now, lol