PDA

View Full Version : Varieties of air filters

QuadJunkies
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
We currently run the typical 1 stage UNI filter w/outerwear but wondered if there was something BETTER out there for water ,mud, silt ect.. WITHOUT being restrictive?
Years ago we used to use K&N back in the Kasea days but had troubles with them not fitting properly and they would fall off and they didnt hold up well to water.
We run a homemade sheild but its not enough at times.

Does Velocity make one?
Thanks

vindell
06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
great topic, my kid loves puddles, have a eton 70 w/ uni, and a outerware. the othe night, came home and squeezed the uni. water expelled. Proceeded to take carb apart, clean thoroughly, re-assembled. not fun, well kinda. lol

QuadJunkies
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Suggestions anyone??

WISH1965
06-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Personally I love the K & N. Little more cost, but you get what you pay for. As for fit, you can go on their website & they list the various specs of filters, length, circumference, ID of opening etc. Then take the part number & go a dealer who sell K & N and have them order it for you, only a couple of days tops. Tons of choices, bends, shapes, so fit sould not be a problem. Also, every size has a custom fitted outerwear (K & N Precharger) for the filter of choice. IOW's a fitted product not a one size fits all. For water, not sure anything will hold up. For dusty conditions, nothing will beat the K & N, the foam filters are too pourous. For general use, the foam filters are fine. JMO.

WW

quadscrib
06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Wow my understanding and expeiriance seem to be different.
On my YFZ450 I have trouble w/ dust w/ the k and n and always run a two stage foam for dust and KnN in wetter conditions.
Ive personally read many horror stories bout KnNs in very light dust conditions.... mabey Im way off but thats how Ive run my YFZ's for years: KnN for muddier and foam for dry....

WISH1965
06-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Go to any Dirt Track in the country, Sprint Cars, Late Models, Midgets etc. K & N not foam, way too pourous. Dust & dirt will pass through & kill your cylinders & rings :(

QuadJunkies
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Do we have more than 2 stage as an option?
I run a K&N faithfully on my Honda, but things do tend to change abit on these minis,that why I was wondering what else might be avail. and part #'s for them as well.
We have had the K&N's on our Eton and Kasea and we had alot of trouble with it falling off and this was one that was reccomended at the time.

I wondered if a bigger stage filter would cause alot of restriction in power on the minis?
I would love to find somethng new to try that might help with mud and water or even better yet... some kind of cover that works and holds together for harsh racing conditions.
Heck, even on days the track guys overwater can be just as bad at times on an MX as anything else. lol

How do the GNCC kids do it? I ask myself that every time I watch the Pros on TV. lol :p
I jsut wanted to see what all was out there for selection,maybe we werent aware of something and might like to try it.