PDA

View Full Version : Motocross Tire Questions (not brand)

KingpinsEx
06-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Just curious a few things about "the best setup" for mx tires. First is what tire pressure's have been working best for you guys? I'm sure it gonna depend on what type of surface, soft/hardpack/blue groove. I have heard anywhere from 4.5 to 11, I'm typically running somewhere in between. The less pressure I assume is gonna give you more traction, but I read that this makes your suspension super hard to dial in due to all the tire flex.

Also on the fronts, what seems to be the best size mx tire to go with? I have an LTR and the stock tires are 20x7 R 10. I just put on a set of ITP Holeshot fronts, but they measure 19x6 R10 and I am a little worried since I am running Maxxis Rzr Mx rears. The rears say they are the same size as stock, but due to the deep lugs they are actually like an inch taller. So there is not much difference between the fronts and rears as far as height. So I am going to "try" this setup, but it the 20in front better to go with or not? The shorter fronts should being my center of gravity down but I am going to have to increase my front ride height I think to bring the front end up slightly... Any thoughts?

jkiserracing
06-29-2009, 09:36 AM
For tire pressure I usually stick to these rules:

Front (non beadlock) 8-10lbs
Rear (beadlock) 6-7
Rear (non beadlock) 8-10

I took these notes straight from Joe Byrd on tire pressure.

It seems that the 20 inch fronts seem to be the most popular. Before I changed the ride height I would try it out as is. It may be ok but I have a feeling you might have to compensate a little for the smaller tire

NAZ450r
06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
i run 9 in the front for stock rims and 7 in the back on my stock rims and i got kenda klaws if it makes any difference

deathman53
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I use 8 in the front and 5 in the rear. Another set of tires, I have in the front and rear. I can feel a differeence. These are kenda klaw(20) fronts and knarly(18) rears. With my grooved radials, I use 8 also.