PDA

View Full Version : a friends 500 predator ticking

bigbad400
06-29-2009, 07:26 AM
my friend says his predator has a tick in the top of the motor, i figure its the valves since they never bean done. so what are the valve specs for the 500 and what else do you polaris owners think it could be if not valves? i have a 400ex and anytime it ticks its the valves getting out of spec, but i thought maybe his timing chain or something too. whats your ideas?

thanks in advance.

rundrave
06-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Most the time it is in the pull start and nothing to worry about, as far as I can tell it is just part of it on this 500 fuji motor. Mine does it along with every other 4stroke Polaris I have seen

if it goes away at higher rpms its nothing to worry about

katch26
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
the specs are .006 (in) .010 (ex) +/- .0019. If the valves are in spec then its probably either the cam chain or tensioner.

Generally (keyword) speaking its never the exhaust just the intake which make it hard starting. Its a shim and bucket system so if it end up being out and your dealer doesnt have them you can always use yfz shims

bigbad400
06-30-2009, 07:14 PM
thanks well check them and see what happens, good tip on the yfz shims, i know more people with them damn things than any other quad. should be easy to get a set.