PDA

View Full Version : Problems again with 2003 predator 90

Tim King
06-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Please see the last post

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3637345#post3637345

raptorobbie
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
originally you said you got a new cdi and stator - but only said you installed the cdi. did you install the new stator too? i'm assuming you did but want to be clear b/c then you complained of a dead battery. please let us know whats been done or not done exactly. thanks!

Tim King
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
No, I installed the cdi and it started so I never installed the stator. The battery was dead from trying to start it so much with the cdi being bad.

raptorobbie
06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
i would start w/ a new plug - or try any good plug in the boot to see if you get spark. if you get no spark check all the switches/safety cords etc and make sure you have that stuff still connected and working properly - use a meter to prove it all out. if all that fails maybe you could find a cdi to borrow and test with... let us know what you find.

michealwall
06-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Clean the stator contact and pick up, I used some emory cloth to remove the rust.

Tim King
06-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Where exactly is the stator on this? Is there any write ups or anything anywhere? I figure I might as well put the new on in since I have one.

05beater
06-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Sounds just like a ground issue. We chased something around like this a few years back on a pred mod. Replaced stator cdi plugs changed carbs. just check the ground wire

raptorobbie
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Tim, the stator should be on the right hand side of the engine as your sitting on the bike. Its under the fan, under the flywheel which you'll have to pull off using a flywheel puller.

Thats why i suggested the spark plug and other stuff in the last post - a lot easier than tearing into the stator :) But your right, you should put it on since you have a new one!

A lot of times i use an online oem parts finder to see how things are put together - the stator should be pretty simple - its just getting to it thats a bit of a hassle.

05beater
06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
its sounds stupid I know sometimes it will vibrate at a certain point causing the connection failure.

Tim King
06-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Where do I get the puller? I'm a mechanic but I don't have any quad paticular tools.

michealwall
06-30-2009, 08:30 AM
I locked the back brake and stood the bike up onthe back tires and the wheelie bar, for easier work area.
Like raptorobbie said left side under the plastic cover, right where the snorkel tube is. I can't remember if it is a 10mm socket or a 5mm allen to remove the cover. I would remove the cover and take the plug out, so you can turnthe engine over with the fan.
Then check the contact as you turn the stator. If you like all of us drive it thru waer and mud, then cleaning that would be the first thing to do. There is a gap between the pick up and the stator about a match book clearance.