PDA

View Full Version : Why do slipper sprocket nuts come loose?

tyler70t
06-28-2009, 04:42 PM
We just DNF'd 2 motos this weekend because the nut on the slipper sprocket came loose. I torque it to 95lbs before each moto and this has never happened before, is it a sign that something else is wrong. My son also told me it felt like it slammed into gear hard and he was pulling wheelies coming out of some turns? HMMM? Any help or words of wisdom?

Logan #34's Dad
06-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Well 1st off - The reason the nut will come loose is because the morons who designed the output shaft should have used reverse threads. This would cause it to tighten instead of loosen. - This goes for the Clutch shaft as well.
Anyhow, Your grip pads may be getting worn out.

dericsdad
06-28-2009, 09:10 PM
We can get a whole season out of one slipper sprocket, and 2 sets of discs.

But, you should torque the nut to 105 ft lbs., and retorque it between every moto.

It also helps to file angled grooves in both sides of each disc with a coping file. File from the center out at an angle to help them "self clean" About 4 grooves evenly spaced per side works best.

Then take apart and clean it after every race weekend.

If you give them the attention they need you won't DNF because of one.

tyler70t
06-29-2009, 03:56 AM
thanks for the info, anyone putting lock-tite on them?
Also, how many grip pads should there be on these things, when we took it apart the first time there was only one and it was toasted, in 3 pieces! So I only put one in when I put it back together but we only made 4 laps like that!

TTracer#22
06-29-2009, 07:56 AM
We never put lock tight on them I torqued ours to 105 and broke a disc so I now torque them at 100 and have not had a problem Just my preference. There should be 2 disc 1 on each side. If look ***********.net Billy Holt has a video of how they should be put together if your not sure.

redonkulousruntsracing
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
The nut doesnt loosen up, its the discs wearing that causes the looseness. I use a paint pen and draw marks on mine to see if it moves at all. Pre-'09 models came with a semi-metallic disc lining. New units have a fully metallic disc in there now that requires no maintenence, you can get these now as replacement discs. I torque down to 110 ft lbs before every race, and in 8 races have only tightened the nut less than a 1/16th of a turn. Personally I wouldnt ever put lock-tite on it. Its a pain sometimes to remember to re-torque, but its better that DNF's and broken tranny gears. So far no problems here, even with dad's 300 lb butt riding the quad.

tyler70t
06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Makes sense sickair, also the sprocket hole was a little out of shape . Normal wear and tear?

redonkulousruntsracing
06-30-2009, 06:25 AM
yea could have gotten worn the times it was slipping, yours sounds like it got pretty chewed up. when it was loose, the sprocket wasnt tight which probably caused it to wobble around.

05beater
06-30-2009, 06:44 AM
All my buddies have removed them and are going back to the older stlye sprockets from the pred. Milling 1/16 off the outside of the shaft so it works and none have had a problem since.