PDA

View Full Version : Help!

mdickerson319
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
My bike ran great in practice tonight,was on the line for the first moto, gate dropped and when I hit the throttle the bike just completely died. I got it started by up, with the choke on, ran a few laps then headed for the trailer. I found the spark plug to be loose enough to take out with my fingers. It was a new plug that I put in right before practice. So I put in another new plug making sure this one was tight and headed out for the second moto. Gate drops, bike takes off great! It ran good for about a lap and a half and then I stalled it out. After getting it to start back it started missing badly! I pulled off and headed back towards the trailer. This time the plug was still tight. Anyone have any clues to the problem or had this happen to them? Could it possibly be electrical? Coil, cdi, or bad ground? Any help would be great! I hate having a bike that wont run worth a s**t!!

atvmxr
06-28-2009, 12:38 AM
if your plug is loose you are probably lean...

hondamancbr03
06-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Did you pull out the second plug and look at the color of it? Did you change anything that would affect the jetting? If the bike ran fine up until the races and you did change pipe/filter/carb etc then it wouldn't be jetting......IMO

rustyATV
06-28-2009, 06:30 AM
I smell an air leak. When I cracked my '85 ATC cylinder, my quad first got temperamental to start. It finally let go on a drag strip launch and ran horribly, not wanting to idle or start back up when it shut off.

What year is your cylinder? You might look around the base and see if you can find any areas around the base studs (intake side) or base gaskets that are oily. If not, then do a leak test and make sure your motor's tight.

hondamancbr03
06-28-2009, 08:05 AM
If you want a fast way to test for a leak, take a can of carb cleaner and start the bike (assuming it will start) and spray around the base, intake boot ETC........If the bike idles up and then settles back down then BINGO! Air leak!
A lot of the time the color a plug will tell a story on a two stroke......

mdickerson319
06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Anyone running the Iridium plugs? Thats what oplug I was running, trying on the word of a good friend. I replaced it this evening with a BR8EV, recomended by CT, and bikes runs great. It even sounds better on idle. Anyone else ever had problems like this?

twopump78
06-29-2009, 10:34 PM
i run one of those $8 Iridium plugs in my pc2000 motor and never had a problem.