PDA

View Full Version : Newer crotch rocket questions

jesseweaver
06-27-2009, 04:37 PM
im currently kind of looking at bikes (hope to get one this fall or spring) just trying to learn a lot more about them...

i have it narrowed down to the bikes i THINK i want...

06 and up GSXR 600 or 750... i know thats when the style changed but is there any other important changes from year-to-year?

i really like the styling of the 07 and up cbr 600s... once again, any important bike changes that make one year much better than the other?

also the 05 and up ninjas (i've heard lots of good things about the newer 636s, 05 and 06)

really just kinda asking if theres any big changes made to the bikes that would make a huge difference during those years? and pros and cons on them

gcart2
06-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
im currently kind of looking at bikes (hope to get one this fall or spring) just trying to learn a lot more about them...

i have it narrowed down to the bikes i THINK i want...

06 and up GSXR 600 or 750... i know thats when the style changed but is there any other important changes from year-to-year?

i really like the styling of the 07 and up cbr 600s... once again, any important bike changes that make one year much better than the other?

also the 05 and up ninjas (i've heard lots of good things about the newer 636s, 05 and 06)

really just kinda asking if theres any big changes made to the bikes that would make a huge difference during those years? and pros and cons on them

im in the same boat. looking for a 600 cbr or gsxr. nothing to contribute but i will definitely keep my eyes on this one.

honda400ex2003
06-27-2009, 08:21 PM
I really like mine. i am putting some tires on it this week. it has 12000 on it and the only thing i have done to it in the last 4 years i have had it is put sprockets and a chain on it. now the tires. that is it. i dont ride much but have not had any problems none the less. great machine if you can find one around. some of the changes recently at least in the past few years are more fuel injection on the new ones. i know the cbrs are all injected and can be mapped different. New shock setups and some have steering stabilizers on them now. i know the 1000rr does but i have not looked at the others. i dont really get into the bike stuff too much. i have ridden with a 86 vfr 750 interceptor they seem to be decent bikes too. i have not ridden it personally but the guy that i ride with says he likes it. everything is hydraulic on it too. mine just has brakes no clutch lever that is hydraulic. i think the new ones have all hydro. on them too. the new cbrs have a weird light setup where low beams are only one bulb and high is both. it looks goofy driving but i guess what ever works. the new ones are pretty sweet with some of the new graphics on them too. good luck with your decision any bike is nice when new, lol. steve

jesseweaver
06-27-2009, 09:20 PM
i'm guessing all the models i've listed are fuel injected?

gcart2
06-27-2009, 09:25 PM
yessir

honda400ex2003
06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
i guess i would assume so since they are new ones. mine is not though, it is a 1999. they changed them to f4i and added f/a that is what the i is for on mine. i guess you could look at the sites for them and find out if they are or not for sure. steve

fastredrider44
06-27-2009, 09:30 PM
the 636's have a definate edge over the 600s:devil:

motofreak2772
06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
whats up with the anti lock brakes on the newer bikes?
does it feel wierd riding?

jesseweaver
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44

yea thats what i've heard a bunch of people say... they made them up to 06 was it? and 07 was the zx6r?

06-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44

Actually the 636 has less bhp than the R6's of same years but the 636 has a more steady number across the RPM range. The R6's are bred for racing and are not the best for everyday commuting. I'm in the same boat and have been reading up on them for the past year and here's what I know so far from the many articles I've read on the '06 models and up.

CBR600- Top rated for street commuting and comfort, excellent for first time riders.

GSXR600- Good all around bike for those who commute with them and may want to go to the track on the weekends.

ZX6R- Pretty much has the same rating has the GSXR so this would come down to preference on brand or looks.

R6- Race bred monster and the fastest stock bike around a track but rated the lowest for comfort and streetability due to it's lack of power at lower RPM's. If you love riding in the high RPM's (8k+) this is your bike.

It all comes down to how you plan to ride it really.

gcart2
06-28-2009, 07:08 AM
^^^^ good info. that why i want a cbr.

Hanksdad
06-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Nearly bought a cbr last year (New) but the dealer was a dick. I ended up going with the gsxr 600 2007 and am super glad I did. Wasn't really a big Suzuki fan, though I have owned one in the past. The seating position is so comfortable though. I would probably agree with the review of the bikes above, but suggest you sit on a couple even if you don't test ride them. My feeling is the yamaha is the most harsh feeling seating position of them all. Seems to be the raciest but you sit really high and the arms seem stuck with a lot of the weight. The ninja for me was the coolest looking but even that bike is a little uncomfortable. The suzuki has a seat position that compared to the others seems to put you as a rider in it rather than on it. My suggestion would be to sit on them for five minutes. I would also just like to say the fuel injection on my suzuki is smoooothe. Accellerating hard on ramps and switchbacks is easy with no rear wheel spin. Regardless Hope you enjoy your new bike purchase!

Tommy 17
06-28-2009, 08:10 AM
This is all 100% personal opinion but I spent 2 summers on Rockets everyday and in the 600 class you can't touch the honda 600rr years 05 and on.

The 600rr just feel so much more stable then the other bikes in the corners. When I would get off my 06 600rr and onto a buddies gsxr600 I found myself uncomfortable and shakey in the corners. I can't explain it other then it seemed as if it didn't want to hold its line as well as the honda did. The gsxr seemed to me like it was set up for wheelies and that was it. It was slower then the RR and its quality was crap. I didn't care for the bike at all and my honest opinion is that its made for people that have no reason being on a rocket.

The kawi 636 I rode was stupid fast compared to the other 600rrs but the brakes were terrible and it was very uncomfortable to me. I didn't care for it.

The R6 was a damn good bike and I honestly thought it was one of the best bikes out there. I would put it right up there with a honda. The only reason I liked the 600rr over the R6 is because I think the 600rr had a more useable lower end power vs the higher reving R6 that didn't pull until u were in the 12,000 + range. I felt that I could corner faster on the 600rr over the R6...

fact is you can't beat a 05 + 600rr or a R6... Both will kill you faster then you can blink...

jesseweaver
06-29-2009, 08:22 PM
thanks a lot, thats exactley the info i was looking for... i think i might keep looking at 636s gixxers and RRs. i'd have to say right now at the top of my list would be the 07 and up CBR600RRs

06-30-2009, 01:35 AM
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2009-supersport-shootout-87967.html

jesseweaver
06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
This is all 100% personal opinion but I spent 2 summers on Rockets everyday and in the 600 class you can't touch the honda 600rr years 05 and on.

The 600rr just feel so much more stable then the other bikes in the corners. When I would get off my 06 600rr and onto a buddies gsxr600 I found myself uncomfortable and shakey in the corners. I can't explain it other then it seemed as if it didn't want to hold its line as well as the honda did. The gsxr seemed to me like it was set up for wheelies and that was it. It was slower then the RR and its quality was crap. I didn't care for the bike at all and my honest opinion is that its made for people that have no reason being on a rocket.

The kawi 636 I rode was stupid fast compared to the other 600rrs but the brakes were terrible and it was very uncomfortable to me. I didn't care for it.

The R6 was a damn good bike and I honestly thought it was one of the best bikes out there. I would put it right up there with a honda. The only reason I liked the 600rr over the R6 is because I think the 600rr had a more useable lower end power vs the higher reving R6 that didn't pull until u were in the 12,000 + range. I felt that I could corner faster on the 600rr over the R6...

fact is you can't beat a 05 + 600rr or a R6... Both will kill you faster then you can blink...

thanks for the info and nice bike i love those black and orange hondas. also the newer white ones. just curious... whats under the cover with the white wall tires?

Tommy 17
06-30-2009, 04:58 PM
its a I believe 1910 Model T ford... I forget the exact year... my friends grand paps dad bought it brand new then and still has it in the family... its mint...

jesseweaver
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
wow a century old mint model T??? how much is that thing worth

440racer66
07-02-2009, 04:08 PM
05 636 is my weapon of choice its a fun bike but ride one of each and then you you decide there all great