PDA

View Full Version : help, my lil cousin wants to race, what size bike????

Stiles86
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
my 11year old cousin whants to try raceing, hes got a little time on a bike.. now he wants to come to the track with me, i got a few bucks from his perents to get him started, now what bike should i put him on???

BakerRacing40
06-27-2009, 04:45 PM
what kind of racing ? whats his size? whats he ride now? looking for new or older bike? and are you actually talking quad or motorcycle?

Stiles86
06-27-2009, 05:25 PM
he had a 50 untill it was stolen, im thinking the 90cc mod class for neatv....

gcart2
06-27-2009, 05:32 PM
ought to get him into a cheaper sport. his parents are probobally cool with it until you ask for 500 bucks for some a arms, 1000 bucks for some shocks, 300 bucks for plastics, etc.

just my old man advice, its too expensive.

BakerRacing40
06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
ought to get him into a cheaper sport. his parents are probobally cool with it until you ask for 500 bucks for some a arms, 1000 bucks for some shocks, 300 bucks for plastics, etc.

just my old man advice, its too expensive.

if it keeps the kid free of drugs, the price is never too much..

smaller bikes like that, i have limited knowledge on.. i know some body that has some kids will chime in..

hondariderdylan
06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
whats his size? whats he ride now? looking for new or older bike?

need to know info right here

gcart2
06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
if it keeps the kid free of drugs, the price is never too much..

smaller bikes like that, i have limited knowledge on.. i know some body that has some kids will chime in..

so would playing football or running x country. not trying to start anything just throwing in some advice.

i think downhill mountain biking would be awesome.

hondariderdylan
06-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
so would playing football or running x country. not trying to start anything just throwing in some advice.

i think downhill mountain biking would be awesome.

i think that when you have to tear down your bike every race,run race gas, etc. comes into play it is too expensive

but if you get a good reliable quad in relativly stock form so it will handle more than 50 hours of running and just worry about minor bolt ons and low maintinence items it is possible

hondariderdylan
06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
i think that when you have to tear down your bike every race,run race gas, etc. comes into play it is too expensive

but if you get a good reliable quad in relativly stock form so it will handle more than 50 hours of running and just worry about minor bolt ons and low maintinence items it is possible

as an example, i came up with this

get a 2004 400EX
450R shock mod with a revalve, a arms if completely needed
pipe,jet kit,air filter,maybe a little head work if needed
good set of tires,brake pads,rotors
good quaility set of nerf bars,bumper,grab bar if needed
good quality set of bars and controls
and maybe a couple of other bolt ons i forgot about

after this you,besides regular service, you might have to tear down the motor a little more often, and repack that muffler when its needed

that would be a quad that can be made to work well in different types of riding that you can go out and have fun on and with a good amount of skill, be competitive on, without breaking the bank:)

extremeblastr
06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
back to the original question, if you are headed to neatv then you want to run 90 auto jr or 90 limited, pm about this, i know someone who has a veryyyy nice bike for sale that is legal for 90 auto jr.

gcart2
06-27-2009, 06:54 PM

get a 2004 400EX

after this you,besides regular service, you might have to tear down the motor a little more often, and repack that muffler when its needed

that would be a quad that can be made to work well in different types of riding that you can go out and have fun on and with a good amount of skill, be competitive on, without breaking the bank:)

since you know no one crashes and breaks stuff, bends a arms, pops tires, etc.

06-27-2009, 08:44 PM
a 450

motofreak2772
06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Stiles86
my 11year old cousin whants to try raceing, hes got a little time on a bike.. now he wants to come to the track with me, i got a few bucks from his perents to get him started, now what bike should i put him on???
how much is a "few bucks?" cuz if you can get 17000 buy one of those hetrick 90 mods or the 150 version. Its the mini quad with a dirtbike engine in it and its hella fast so he could use it till hes 15. If you dont have that much you can probably find used ones for half the price. Its just better to get him something thats actually fast and he can shift on cuz he will grow up quick and a lil 90 auto will just be outgrown in a year.

UnderFire
06-27-2009, 09:40 PM
blaster or 300ex in my honest opinion, don't know much about racing, but he could just ride, right?

p.s. i got a 400ex at 11, but i have ridden since 5 years.

Stiles86
06-28-2009, 10:03 AM
i just checked the rule book, hes got to race 90cc class till 15....

Stiles86
06-28-2009, 10:03 AM
i just checked the rule book, hes got to race 90cc class till 15....

motofreak2772
06-28-2009, 09:48 PM
he can race the supermini class(which is the bike I said) or the youth class(200cc 2stroke or 300cc 4stroke) untill hes 15 too.

mini racer #39
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Any mini quad that you get will cost. ALOT. If you send them out on a bone stock quad to race your going to find out that he's not going to be happy. Find him a super mini or 90 and start with suspension. Worry about a motor later. If the kid can shift then a mod will be great but if they can't shift then you may find him getting discouraged really fast. The NEATV Series kids are fast and have been riding a while. Are there any local tracks you can take him to and see if he even likes this before you get in too deep $$$. Look in the quads for sale on here and parts also. They usually have some good deals. Mods cost ALOT but so do the 90's. JMO

Stiles86
07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
i race, so i know the deal, im deefinately buying used and if he dost like it then ill hold onto the bike for my son whos gona be raceing 50s next year... thats gonna be fun

rollie
07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
NEATV doesnt have a supermini class

I would just get him a TRX/DRR/APEX 90, people in neatv have them forsale quite a bit, if your looking for cheap then TRX90 is the cheapest i would say, but least competative

And yeah racing is expensive, but if you really like it you can find a way to make it work:cool:

extremeblastr
07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
i'm trying to hook him up with a sickkkk trx90 all done up for mx with a 125 setup and swapped out the pull for a kick start, its a really nice bike for an incredible price considering the money thats into it and the fact that everything is fresh. stiles did you talk to him today? i didn't notice if he was home or not.

mxtuner
07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Get him on a dirtbike!

Stiles86
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
i havnt called him yet, i didnt get all the cash yet im up to 2500, shes hopefully sending me the other half today but that 125 sounds nice,

thanks rollie, thats what im planning.. i hoping to have him ready bt the next mx207 race hopfully i get my cast off by then i can be back on track wid you guys...

KXRida
07-04-2009, 08:08 AM

get a 2004 400EX

with a good amount of skill, be competitive on, without breaking the bank:)

While this is a pretty good setup and nothing wrong with it, if you're planning on racing anymore a 400ex won't cut it. The last race the gate was full of Modded LTR's and 450sx's.

I myself wouldn't mind getting another quad sometime. I just don't know if I could get back into them like I used to. If you're young, just giving racing a try, I say start on a bike. Usually it's the cheapest route to go and if you don't like it, it's not hard to get rid some of the stuff.