PDA

View Full Version : new sprockets and chain went on, 13/39t.

uchi
06-26-2009, 04:17 PM
so my chain and rear sprocket arrived the other day, was shipped in like 2 days, very happy about that. i had to cut 5 links out of it. heres the problem, it came with a 39 tooth rear, i could have sworn it was supposed to be a 38. not a big issue as i dropped to a 13t front from a 15. so i get it back together, and i notice i have some play in the axles. it seems as if somethings worn out in the carrier and the wheels with the axles have some play. im not sure if this is normal or not. anyways, get it back together, give the chain a good lubing and go for a ride. now im sure i need a new plug and im running **** gas so when i change both itll make a big difference i know.

performance improvements. definatly faster. i run out the gears alot faster than i used to. now im 270 and before she felt good and would pull a little wheelie without me trying in first gear and lift the wheels a bit into second on a good shift. now on a second gear roll if i lean back a little and stab the throttle shell lift the front end. pretty happy with the results. wish i had that 38t rear but oh well.

also im still hearing that random clunk. maybe it was the chain before it completely absorbed itself with lube who knows. i didnt get to go for a long ride as i was riding on reserve gas. but before the chain swap i thought the chain and sprocket were making noise and i noticed i had even lost a bit of a tooth on a couple teeth so i associated it with that. now im thinking it might be something in the damn carrier. thoughts on this?

uchi
06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
apparantly going up in teeth on the rear increases acceleration, i thought it would be the other way around. and by the calculator i used online ive succesfully lost 10 mph off my top end speed :D

RIDEREDson
06-26-2009, 05:18 PM
One tooth, on the rear, won't make much of a difference at all. For every 3 teeth you go up int he rear its equal to dropping a (1) tooth up front.

About the noise and loose axle. Sounds like your carrier bearings might be wore out. Your axle should not have play unless the locknut came loose, etc.

uchi
06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Cool thanks for the info. How hard is it to replace the bearing in the carrier? Might aswell change them before something else breaks.

honda400ex2003
06-26-2009, 11:29 PM
heres a decent how to that i typed and there are others around that are great as well. it should take about 2 hours. use heat to get the old ones out of the carrier and cold to get the new ones in. put the new ones in the freezer for a while before putting them in.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390612&highlight=bearing

steve

uchi
06-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks steve. I guess its maintenance time for the old girl now. About time things started to break. Lol

Snipe
06-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Going up on the rear makes it slower going down faster, going down on the front makes it slower and up makes it faster.

uchi
06-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Yeah talking about top end speed. But going up on the rear and down on the front makes it accel faster :). All I know is that this thing better lay a beating to ny neighbours quad till atleast the top of 4th

honda400ex2003
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I just finished up mine again on thursday. lol, for the 3rd time. the last set lasted a year. I think it was cause my lock nut was messed up. I found this out when i went to tighten it up and it would spin around. so another $54 later plus the bearings and a new brake hub so that did not move back and forth, i got it all done and it is nice again. steve

uchi
06-28-2009, 04:53 AM
nice, you wanna come down my way and do mine for me? beer and pizza, best pizza youve ever had guaranteed. and canadian beer :D

honda400ex2003
06-28-2009, 06:38 PM
i would if i didnt have the rest of my july booked up already and we are not even it yet. I cant wait to get some more of this stuff done and relax. otherwise the pizza sounds great. lol. you should not have a problem anyway. steve

uchi
06-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah I should be fine. I had a hell of a time getting the shifter peddle off the pred today. It had a screw drilled between the level and shaft and put a dent into it. So hopefully the new one goes on without a problem. The spare I was given is stripped. My luck eh. Haha

lilyamaharacer4
06-28-2009, 07:23 PM
just hope that the splines on the shift shaft are ok the previous owner of my quad didnt have the shifter tite and stripped out the gears and well there around 300 to replace on a ex.

uchi
06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
the splines feel ok to me, theres a bit of damage in the right side where the bolt they had was resting but its not bad and theres a dent in the bottom because one of the geniuses decided to drill a screw in there. i didnt notice it at first because it looked like a keyway with a key of sorts. but after i got it off i noticed its a small screw. i bid on a new shifter from ebay, hopefully i win it and get it soon and i hope i can fix the problem.