PDA

View Full Version : 86 lt250r questions

86 lt250r
06-26-2009, 02:49 PM
hey im new to this
i just bought a 86 q racer 250r and i got a few questions
it has a exhaust and filter and thats about it, im only 17 and dont got a bunch of money but what are some more cheap things i can do to it to get a little more performance?
what type of oil should i use?
whats the best gear ratio to run on a stock bore?
i kno there aint that much out there for an 86 but i love the thing

LTandRaptorider
06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the LT250R world! :D

For not much money... You say it already has an aftermarket exhaust and air filter? That of course is the first thing. Might wanna re-pack the silencer if that hasn't been done for awhile. Bigger carb won't help with just an exhaust, but make sure the jetting is right. May need to go up a size or two on the main. Check the reeds. Probably still stock, and maybe original. Get some Boyesen reeds. Put a new plug in if the one in it has been there awhile. Pull the cylinder head and clean the combustion chamber(dome). Pro-Design cool head is about $200. Not sure if they are still available for the 85-86 LTs.

Suzuki recommends 10W40 oil. But since it's a 2-stroke and doesn't lube the engine, you can use something like Bel-Ray 80 weight 2-stroke tranny oil.

Stock gearing is 12-42. Since the engine is mostly stock, I wouldn't recommend more than a 13T front sprocket to give you a little more on the top end.

I still see a fair amount of stuff on ebay if you need replacement parts. Remember to check the sellers rating before buying! If they have less than a 98-99% rating, I don't order from them. ;)

Good luck, have fun! :cool:

86 lt250r
06-28-2009, 03:09 PM
i was looking at mine and it looks like it was recently rebuilt( gasket stuff seeping out of the head, and yellow crayon on the head) so im thinking all the internal cleaning was done,
but it has what im pretty sure is piston skirt slap, cuz when its idling it makes not quite a knocking but along them lines,
i think i wanna get it rebuilt and bored like .20 over
any shops close to DuBois or cleafield that do it?

weld_13
07-03-2009, 12:33 AM
What size rear tires are you running? I'm running 13 tooth front and 42 tooth rear on my 86 with only aftermarket exhaust and k&n filter and like it with my 20" rear tires.

I hear the best reeds out there for the 86 are tdr carbon fiber reeds. Problem is the only place I've found even after hitting the phone that sells the CF reeds for the 86 takes like two weeks to show up, I put some on order yesterday, I'll let you know how good they are once I get them, the guys that have them on their 86's speak very highly of them(only $30 shipped but 7-10 day proccessing time before shippment)

You will have to buy the oversized piston and drop it off with the cylinder no matter who does the bore job but any local machine/engine shop can bore your cylinder for you, anywhere from $45 to $75. I would just ask a local quad shop who they have do their bore work and go with that shop.

86 lt250r
07-03-2009, 01:15 AM
im runnin stock gearin(12-42?) and run 20's on the back,
where did u find the reeds??
i found a shop, im gettin it bored .20 over and usin wiseco pro light piston, all for like around $200 i cant wait

weld_13
07-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Got mine from http://www.jlatvproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JLAP&Category_Code=REEDS I can't believe no one else has them...

86 lt250r
07-04-2009, 09:47 PM
ordered!
i cant wait
thanks

Quadzilla2win
07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Avoid Boyesen reeds like the plague. they are dirt cheap for a reason. you'll get better performance from stock. Weld13 has it right.

Dont waste your money on a cool head either. that's a lot of cash for minimum gain. and the "cool" part in coolhead makes no sense being that your radiator size determines how well your cooling system works.

Get a foam aftermarket air filter like uni. Try to stay away from K&N especially if you plan on dune riding unless you like spending money on new top ends.

Also, if you want to spend a little (like 200) Fmf actually makes a good pipe for the 85-86 250's. (i know, i had to pick myself off the floor too)

last thing is jetting... Bad jetting can make a well built motor run horrible. you have 3 circuits. Pilot, Needle, Main.

Pilot controls idle to 1/4 throttle. Needle controls 1/4 to 3/4. and Main controls 3/4 to wide open.

Do one circuit at a time starting with the pilot. Do plug chops to get it dialed in perfect.

Like Weld13 said, ALWAYS have the shop bore the cylinder to the piston. If they try to bore it without the piston take your cylinder somewhere else because they have no idea what they are doing!

86 lt250r
07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
mine has the gold series and power core combo is that good?
i dont rides dunes at all cuz where i live so for the money i got ill use the k&n
i havent touched the jetting thats next on my list

thanks for all the guys

Quadzilla2win
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Performance wise, K&N's are great air filters but they can let a little too much air in and that's when you get grit in your motor. Really, if you ride roads and trails K&N's are fine. Just use outerwear on it.
Good luck bud!

86 lt250r
07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
my pipe burnt a whole in my airbox, is that bad for the air to the motor??

weld_13
07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 86 lt250r
my pipe burnt a whole in my airbox, is that bad for the air to the motor?? Not a big deal, that's common on lts