PDA

View Full Version : Hare Scrambles

motoboy66
01-06-2003, 03:39 AM
Anyone a district 17 or 18 Hare Scramble racer? I am going to start racing this year and am trying to figure out just what I will need to race. Do I have to have a kill switch? I am already an AMA member, but do I need to ditch that and get an ATVA card. Also what kind of card do I need, normal or competitive? I always know I can get my questions answered hear. Also what class should I enter in? I have been riding bikes since I was 6, but just got into quads 2 a little over a year ago. Well that’s when I bought my 2000 ex. I already have all the riding gear from my bike days, but need those little tips on how to survive a race. By the way anyone near the St. Louis area, I am going to try and get a St. Joe (Flat River) ride together. Try and put a face with the names I have been seeing for the past year. Well I guess that’s about all for now. One more question, can I request a number, or am I assigned a new one at each race? Also, do I have to put the numbers on my bike or do I wear them on me?

Todd
:confused:

tprender
01-06-2003, 07:03 AM
There are a few HS in the D-18, but there are not that good compared to the Missouri Hare Scrambles Series. This is a very good series with an average of over 100 per race. The D-18 might get 25 total.
The only real thing that you must have at any of these races is a helmet. They don't check for any of the other stuff at XC races. It is a good idea to have nerf bars and 6-ply tires. The MHSC schedule is posted on some websites and the D-18 is posted on thiers. I put on 2 of the MHSC races myself.

wgbanks
01-06-2003, 07:16 PM
I too am looking into somee H/S this year. Dist 17 seems to have plenty of opportunities that are with'in 2 hrs of the STL, MO area. I also was wondering about the bike equipment requirements. I really don't want the nerf bars, but if they are manditory then there is no choice. Maybe well cross paths Motoboy, I'll be the old tubby guy on a Red EX with the boy in tow behind on a Blue Raptor 80. We spend alot of time down @flat river. Any additional info on H/S rule is appreciated. Check the ATVA web site for nation wide schedule for H/S too.

motoboy66
01-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Is there a web site for the MO hare scrambles? I do agree on the nerfs. They are the best item I have bought so far. I can’t count how many times they have kept me from hooking a tree or getting my foot run over. As far as the races go, I am going to try to get to as many as I can. I got a good riding buddy, but he is kind of a baby when it comes to racing. But I will get on here and let everyone know what races I’ll be at or when I'm going to Flat so we can all pit together. Also anyone ever raced at Splinter Creek, Fosterburg, IL? Just wondering they put on a few races each year and they are only five mins from my house. Yeah has anyone ever raced the Flat River Grand Prix? Looks like fun. Thanks for the help

Todd

bigb426ex
01-06-2003, 10:47 PM
www.showmeatvracing.com

Ex'r Marlin
01-09-2003, 06:16 PM
I do not know anything about the District 17 or 18 races to help you out, but I thought I would comment on some of your questions.

Your AMA card should work just fine for all AMA sanctioned races... No need to get an ATVA if you have an AMA.

Not all places require a tether kill switch, but it is recommended. I would check with someone to confirm if it is required where you will be racing before going.

As for the class you should race, I would ask someone there their recommendation. I guess it depends on the turn out, but normally, if you are a beginner racer, you would start at the lowest class, whether it is the D class, C class, or B class.

The only number you need is the number they give you at the race for them to trace your laps. This number will be required at each lap check point. Some numbers are electronically coded!:) Normally, they require you to put the numbers on your left side of your helmet, but they will tell you once you sign up.

Unless otherwised specified, all AMA sanctioned races require:
Long sleeve shirt
Long pants
Over the ankle boots
DOT approved helmet
Goggles

Some places may require:
Tether kill switch
Chest protector
Gloves
Motorcycle boots

Best wishes racing... Have fun!!!!