PDA

View Full Version : best quad

89rwfo
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Just looking at some of the other atv threads on this website and couldnt help but notice all the problems people are having with other models. People are arging with each other over quad talk.
Just wanted to point out that you dont see that in the 250R side.
That is just confirming what we already know. The 250R is still the best.

deathman53
06-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I like it the best, I've ridden many different quads. A big part comes in to how the person has it setup. Ride height, a-arm placement(+0 or +1), swingarm length and caster/camber and other settings. You can take a walsh 250r and make it handle like garbage. With a change in just ride height, you can change it dramaticly, change the caster/camber, correct toe-in and it will handle like its on rails. User setting have a big effect.

matt14c
06-26-2009, 04:54 PM
You dont see people arguing about the R because people buy them now a days because they have always wanted one or because they have always had stroke and dont want to switch to the thumpers. Plus they have had 20+ years to know whether or not its for them or not. People argue about the new ones because they read all the garbage that is posted in magazines about how great certain models and accessories like exhaust are. Then they get them and next month the magazine either says the same thing about the next new model or they figure out that the magazine was full of bull! I have had many hondas and no problems at all with mine. Ive had every honda sport quad now besides the 250x and 250ex. My 94 trx90 just needs a new throttle cable and brakes and would run like new and it has been jumped into ponds, creeks, snow banks, mud, and everything else imaginable. I dont think I would ever own another brand!

Aceman
06-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Some people seem to think 250r's are constant maintenance. The only thing different is the engine. Everything else is just like any other quad. A-arms, swinger, shocks, stem it's all the same, just a different motor. With that said, as long as you're not buying some POS that has 20 year old bearings in it, you only have to worry about the motor is what I thought. But you know what, that's been bulletproof too! I run a high comp. 310 with absolutely no engine related problems. It's not hard, you keep the oil mix constant with proper jetting and change your tranny oil every so often and you shouldn't have any problems. Yeah, it's a little bit of a pain the first time getting it jetted right but once it's done you only need to tweak the main a little bit up and down for temp and elevation changes which isn't that bad.

I just wish people would stop acting like the 250r requires never ending maintenance which they think is a big deal killer when they're looking at buying one. It certainly hasn't been the case for me. Grease it, lube the chain, and oil the filter just like any other quad out there...

deathman53
06-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I never understood the whole thing about alot of maintenance with 2 strokes. I find its less to do. My four strokes always seam to need the oil changed and it costs more to do after you factor in the oil filter. Valve adjustments and then you are in a huge helping when the valve trane needs to be re-done. The only thing I can see with a 250r being more, is that they are older and there is more that needs to be rebuilt, but everything does after so long. The 4 strokes will need it after time also. People are buying into the hype and monkey see-monkey do. You see it every year, a new shock company thats so much better than the others, new tire lines that make the other seem ancient, a new quad thats a collect of a 250r chassis, combined with some 4 stroke motor and SHOCKING new suspension setup, that was tested with 250r's in the past. There is nothing new about the quads now, efi isn't, street bikes had it since the mid 90's, IRS isn't, it was tested with 250r's in the early 90's and wasn't good for a sport quad. The ground breaking fcr carb was in street bikes for years before yamaha thought to break-up the 4 pack and use it on the yz400f. You can look at new quads now and see 250r similarites and in honda quads, it can be measured in milimeters. Long travel(really long shock) suspension isn't anything new, it was around since the mid 90's, no-links were started in JP chassis's in the very early 90's. Look at crf suspension, trx 450r and see how similar it is to cr500 suspsension. This isn't just with honda, susuki, kawasaki and yamaha are all the same with that. Using previous dirtbike and works stuff to be SHOCKING new designs. We are just fooled to believe, they are a new design.