PDA

View Full Version : The Banshee

honda400-4-ever
06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Is the banshee actually as bad as you guys describe it?? or are you just honda-biased?

powermadd400ex
06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
banshee's are rockets, i love them. with +2 arms and shocks they handle awesome despite what everyone has said or will say.

06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
banshee's are rockets, i love them. with +2 arms and shocks they handle awesome despite what everyone has said or will say.

Thanks for posting an honest non-biased opinion dude lol.

No, they aren't as bad as all these haters make them out to be. This site started for just 400ex's, and now is generally a honda-biased site. Of course they are going to diss on the banshee. And most won't admit that they're biased either.

The shee is a good all around platform. They handle decent, in my opinion. They soak up jumps well, they can RAIL around corners, and are reliable and fast as hell. Sure, they don't handle as good as 400ex's and ill admit that. But with a few bucks in suspension they're GREAT.
I'm a banshee rider always and forever. And to the guys who I KNOW are going to come in here and say banshee's are only good at drag racing, you just suck at riding. I have no problem trail riding or jumping my banshee you wusses...

06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
And of course, everyone knows em, DMCBanshee. He raced MX and prefers his banshee over ANY of the new 450's thats out. Definitely one of my favorite banshee's and im glad to see people still race these in MX. Like I said, from what ive seen him say on bansheehq, he prefers his banshee over ALL of the 450's. His is what inspired me to want to start modding mine more lol.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pYl902rfvhs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pYl902rfvhs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

honda400-4-ever
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
how are the y on maintenance?? how often do u refresh the piston??

06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
how are the y on maintenance?? how often do u refresh the piston??

There really is no maintenance to them lol. Every once and a while change the gear oil, clean the air-filter, and you're good to go. As long as it's tuned in well there's nothing else really to them. Make sure to run a good quality oil in the gas though. My banshee runs like **** with havoline/yamalube. I swear by Mobile1 synthetic and Maxima Super M.

They last a long time on a rebuild. As long as you use forged pistons they should last a decent two years at least. The motor's are pretty durable. The stock trans is designed to handle up to 100hp and the stock crank is good for up to 160psi compression. Stock is 125-130. A nice set of forged piston's (I run nothing but weisco) and you're good to go.:cool:

flyboy1294
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Another thing you have to remember is Banshee's hold their value VERY well too. You will have trouble getting one that's younger than 10 years old for under 3k.
That's more than you can say for most bikes..

06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Another thing you have to remember is Banshee's hold their value VERY well too. You will have trouble getting one that's younger than 10 years old for under 3k.
That's more than you can say for most bikes..

Actually out west in the dunes, on craigslist banshee's are still going in the 3's and 4's, and more then the 450's lol.

Over here in the east though, you can find a nice shee for in the two's. Still hold there value better then the 400ex though. People are having trouble selling 05's for 2k lol.

flyboy1294
06-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Actually out west in the dunes, on craigslist banshee's are still going in the 3's and 4's, and more then the 450's lol.

Over here in the east though, you can find a nice shee for in the two's. Still hold there value better then the 400ex though. People are having trouble selling 05's for 2k lol.

haha ok I stand corrected. I couldn't find a nice one for under $2800 though... So there ;)

06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
haha ok I stand corrected. I couldn't find a nice one for under $2800 though... So there ;)

haha gotcha.

That's why I love projects. We got my shee for $500 all blown up. I put 400 into the engine and other misc. random things it needed, and 100 for plastics, so I have a finished running rebuilt shee for $1000:D

killer400ex
06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
it all depends on how you ride and how experienced you are, personally i like the feel of a four strokes power ban because i dont constantly have to shift, with any 2 stroke you have to keep the motor in its power ban which is usally higher up in the rpm range, you have to remember that when you ride a 2 stroke that you have to basically ring its neck for power where a 4 stroke is more laid back and there is more bottom end or lower rpm power, banshees are fun to ride but they pound fuel like no tomorrow, and you have to know how to ride them, all the people who hate shees are people who cant ride 2 strokes or people who dont know how to ride one, they are nothing like 4 strokes in that they will have verry little power till they hit there powerband, i could ride either or and not have a problem, banshees are fun but they arent cheap to own, and you have to basically be racing it when you ride it, like a friend of mine said, "there is no taking it easy on a 2 stroke, you either ride the piss out of it or you go home"

flyboy1294
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
haha gotcha.

That's why I love projects. We got my shee for $500 all blown up. I put 400 into the engine and other misc. random things it needed, and 100 for plastics, so I have a finished running rebuilt shee for $1000:D

Haha I agree, and you built it how you want it. Would you rather have 2k in a quad that needs work, or pay 500 for a fixer-uper then $1500 in tuning it to your liking...

06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
it all depends on how you ride and how experienced you are, personally i like the feel of a four strokes power ban because i dont constantly have to shift, with any 2 stroke you have to keep the motor in its power ban which is usally higher up in the rpm range, you have to remember that when you ride a 2 stroke that you have to basically ring its neck for power where a 4 stroke is more laid back and there is more bottom end or lower rpm power, banshees are fun to ride but they pound fuel like no tomorrow, and you have to know how to ride them, all the people who hate shees are people who cant ride 2 strokes or people who dont know how to ride one, they are nothing like 4 strokes in that they will have verry little power till they hit there powerband, i could ride either or and not have a problem, banshees are fun but they arent cheap to own, and you have to basically be racing it when you ride it, like a friend of mine said, "there is no taking it easy on a 2 stroke, you either ride the piss out of it or you go home"

I wouldn't say all of that is necessarily true..

On my banshee, you don't have to constantly shift gears and keep it in powerband. I can leave it in a gear, and usually when I jab the gas it goes right into powerband. But you can also ride normally. Just hit here and there. The problem with two-strokes, is you don't have to, but you always want to. :devil:

It's addicting.

And yes, they are hogs on gas. With pipes I run 270 mains in each carb which = 540 jet worth of fuel at WOT.
:(

06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Haha I agree, and you built it how you want it. Would you rather have 2k in a quad that needs work, or pay 500 for a fixer-uper then $1500 in tuning it to your liking...

Exactly:D

killer400ex
06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
i wasnt basing it on a banshee, since the banshee is a 2 cyl it has a lot more bottom end but on most dirtbikes and 2 stroke 4 wheelers i felt like i had to keep it up higher in the rpms to keep it snappy, shees are a totaly diffrent animal since they are 2 cyls, i would eventually like to see the four stroke world try this out, the only problem would be the weight as farr as i can see

06-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
i wasnt basing it on a banshee, since the banshee is a 2 cyl it has a lot more bottom end but on most dirtbikes and 2 stroke 4 wheelers i felt like i had to keep it up higher in the rpms to keep it snappy, shees are a totaly diffrent animal since they are 2 cyls, i would eventually like to see the four stroke world try this out, the only problem would be the weight as farr as i can see

Actually it's quite opposite lol. Since it's two smaller pistons it's more high-rpm then torque. Unless you have stock pipes on it.

Kinda like an inline 4 compared to a v-twin. inline 4 is higher rev'ing because it's 4 tiny short-stroke pistons. The V-twin is two big bore long stroke.

matt14c
06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
My brother bought one used and it was fast as hell but had a crazy bore kit in it. Think it was like a 460 or something and was always needing to be rebuilt. It only lasted 6-7 tanks of gas and compression slowly dropped with each tank. In stock form handled like crap but so do most stock form quads or atleast back 6-8 years ago. Now my brother is a bit of a dee-d-dee so I bet that had something to do with it as far as the engine but even so 6 tanks of gas is pretty bad. Put the power plant in like a hybrid chassis with some good suspension and have a brain larger than a pea and I bet it would rip!

06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
My brother bought one used and it was fast as hell but had a crazy bore kit in it. Think it was like a 460 or something and was always needing to be rebuilt. It only lasted 6-7 tanks of gas and compression slowly dropped with each tank. In stock form handled like crap but so do most stock form quads or atleast back 6-8 years ago. Now my brother is a bit of a dee-d-dee so I bet that had something to do with it as far as the engine but even so 6 tanks of gas is pretty bad. Put the power plant in like a hybrid chassis with some good suspension and have a brain larger than a pea and I bet it would rip!

Something DEFINITELY wasn't right there.. he was probably running lean or wrong mixture or wasn't tuned right. It shouldve lasted MUCH longer then 6-7 tanks.

matt14c
06-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Like I said he is a dumb *** to say the least but I never messed with it just rode it a few times up and down the side of the field. Prolly the fastest quad I ever rode. I wouldnt rip on them for the fact that there potential and he is the only one I have known to have one and as previously stated 80% of the bikes problems if not more were his fault! The only thing I can accurately say is the suspension sucked but again what ATV suspension from 10 years ago is worth anything anyway?

storms400ex
06-26-2009, 06:00 PM
And of course, everyone knows em, DMCBanshee. He raced MX and prefers his banshee over ANY of the new 450's thats out. Definitely one of my favorite banshee's and im glad to see people still race these in MX. Like I said, from what ive seen him say on bansheehq, he prefers his banshee over ALL of the 450's. His is what inspired me to want to start modding mine more lol.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pYl902rfvhs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pYl902rfvhs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

what are talking about you are DMCBANSHEE350 on hillclimbersforum.com you told everyone over there that you don't come on this site hardly anymore, your on here all the time (YOUR FULL OF POOP) and not everyone bashes banshees on here like you think, grow up!!!

MyKe2g3
06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
If you like going fast straight or up a hill a banshee is for you. I dont know where this guy thinks jumping a banshee is good with a good suspension on a stock frame. He has a point the shee rides likes a 4 stroke the power kicks in like a mofo. If you want a good dune drag or hill, climbing bike with plenty of power then a banshee is good. As far as trails or mx or any other riding that doesnt have long straights you would be disappointed. As far as maintenence it does require a lil bit but thats with any 2 stroke bike. If you keep it simple and study up moding a banshee is easy. As far as value they hold up good but id be wary of one thats heavily moded as alot of them are ragged out. That is all.

timmy400exfast
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
i think banshees would be a screaming machine if you gear it right will be a good track bike i think it would be a little boring trail riding it not being able to hold it out and having to clear it out so you dont foul a plug a should know i use to ride dirtbikes on the trail but you get used to it after a while

06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by storms400ex
what are talking about you are DMCBANSHEE350 on hillclimbersforum.com you told everyone over there that you don't come on this site hardly anymore, your on here all the time (YOUR FULL OF POOP) and not everyone bashes banshees on here like you think, grow up!!!

LOL.:p

Dude, me and DMCBanshee are not the same dude. I just couldn't think of a username, so I made that one, and like two minutes later it kicked in that the name is similar. LMAO. So I said f it and used it anyway.

And for a while I DIDN'T come here as often. On my old username I racked up like 4000 posts in no time. I kinda browse everything now.
Just recently I found myself on here more.

And I never said EVERYONE bashes banshee's. I said most people on here do, which is true. usually by now the thread has 100 people saying banshee's absolutely suck and everything.

SO I just proved all your points wrong. I don't know what crawled up your *** but chill dude.:chinese:

Stoke88
06-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Banshee's are a point and shoot quad. They have a ton of power and are extremly fun to ride. The worst thing about the Banshee is keeping the carbs in sync. As soon as there out of sync it runs like crap. I used to race mx with mine. It was a handful on the track for sure but what a blast!

06-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Stoke88
Banshee's are a point and shoot quad. They have a ton of power and are extremly fun to ride. The worst thing about the Banshee is keeping the carbs in sync. As soon as there out of sync it runs like crap. I used to race mx with mine. It was a handful on the track for sure but what a blast!

Yeah, I finally just sync'd my carbs today. What a difference in how it runs! I can't believe how much mid-range I gained.

The right slide was going like 3mm up before the other one started to lol.

It last's a while sync'd, but doing it is a pain. Taking the silencers off, plastics, airbox, etc until you can see in the carb.

honda400-4-ever
06-26-2009, 09:17 PM
what do u do when u sync them??

06-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
what do u do when u sync them??

Basically, the slides have to be even and let in the same amount of air on each side, since it's a twin cylinder. They also have to raise at the same time when you press the throttle. Even if one goes up SLIGHTLY before the other does, it won't run that great.

You have to get it so you can look in the carb. There's little windows on the carb and dots on the slide. You push the throttle wide open (while its off) and adjust the cables so the little dot is in the center of both windows.

Then once they are, let go of the throttle. now see if one raises sooner then the other. If it is, you adjust the cable on the one that raises sooner down, until they look like they're going up even with each other.

It's easy just annoying.

honda400-4-ever
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
how often do u have to do that?? do u ever mess with the air/fuel screw??

storms400ex
06-27-2009, 12:00 AM
here is proof of what DMC said about this site i copied his post on hillclimbersforum.com under the four stroke posts (any 400ex riders) this is'nt old !!!!!here it is ----Exactly. Thats why I don't like going on atvriders as much.

All the 450 guys with their "banshee's handle like couches" "banshees handle like ****" "Ive had furniture that handles better than banshees"

It gets really annoying. I can whip the banshee around corners 10x faster than I can on my 400ex.

killer400ex
06-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by storms400ex
here is proof of what DMC said about this site i copied his post on hillclimbersforum.com under the four stroke posts (any 400ex riders) this is'nt old !!!!!here it is ----Exactly. Thats why I don't like going on atvriders as much.

All the 450 guys with their "banshee's handle like couches" "banshees handle like ****" "Ive had furniture that handles better than banshees"

It gets really annoying. I can whip the banshee around corners 10x faster than I can on my 400ex.
__________________ dude i think he was saying that 450 guys say this, i dont think he was bashing the banshee on one sight and talking it up on another, chill bud, he owns a banshee so i highly doubt he will ever bash on one, wow all the intense people need to start poking more smot, lol

honda400-4-ever
06-27-2009, 05:40 AM
whats your problem?? do you like bashing on people?? if you do get a new hobby because this isnt the place to do it, this forum is to get info that will help us

06-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Yeah, really. What the hell dude. This thread was chill and relaxed until you rush in here like a phsycopath. I meant what I said on that forum. I like hillclimbers 10x better, and I meant what I said about the people on here.

So screw off asswipe. I guess because I go on there im not allowed to come on here at all?:rolleyes:

Snipe
06-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I had one for awhile I had it setup for XC racing with the J arm front end and it would every bit of keep up with my bro and cousin's 450's and my 400 road well and trailed nice. It went everywhere are other bikes went. One major thing you want to do to get this is put some good tires for hook up and 9T front sprocket lots better for trailing on a shee and if you can afford it get some beadlocks on the rears to prevent wheel spin.