PDA

View Full Version : Bike will not start (Electrical)

fauxamish
06-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I took my 416ex out the other afternoon and rode for about 10 minutes then got off to move something out of my way. It sat and idled just fine and when I got back on I stalled it (don't judge me, you still do it once in a while too..). When I pushed the start button, the neutral light went off and there was one click. Tried again and the neutral light went off again but no click.

I thought my battery had gone flat because we have been having some issues with it, so I recharged it overnight and it was putting out around 13.7 volts. Thought it would be fixed, but it is still causing the neutral light to go off and nothing else happens.

I took the starter relay switch (the round cylinder thing that sits in the little rubber cup...) and replaced it with one off my other bike that I am fixing. I do not know 100% that it is good, so that may still be the answer. I bench tested it by putting power through the two wires going into it and got 12+ volts through the terminals, but it is still not doing anything when it is wired in.

The bike will push start, and runs just fine. When I shut it off, the battery was totally flat, putting out 0.0 volts on the multimeter, when it was putting out 12ish before I push started it.

I have tried a different wiring harness, with the same results. I have a race tomorrow and will end up pull starting it I guess... Does anyone have any ideas? I cannot get any power to come out of the terminal that the starter wire goes to. I guess it must be shorting somewhere, but where? It is not like the electrical system is all that complicated...

Sorry for the novel above, but I just wanted you to get all the information right off of the bat. Any ideas/insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh and I have triple checked the ground twice, so it is probably not that...

nakomis0
06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Check the ground wire coming off the battery, there it meets to the frame.

It really sounds like bad connection somewhere. Trace all the wires and look for something.

fauxamish
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
I have checked that ground a hundred times lol. the other ground is the one by the coil right?I have unplugged and replugged everything.