PDA

View Full Version : Quad Street Legality

hondariderdylan
06-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Well i learned today that one of my good freinds is getting her motorcycle permit this week and is going to get to ride her dads dualsport to work

i have also have a job currently and was throwing around the idea of seeing if it was possible in my area to street legalize a quad

i saw a guy in arizona that rode his LTR on the street legaly and it got my mind running

i was planning on getting a 400ex or a 450R at the end of the summer or putting the money into my truck but if i could ride the quad to work/school it would save a ton of gas and ....... well i would be riding my quad to work and school, how cool is that?:D

i know that i would probably need to at least get a set of street tires, regear it to run good speeds, get a motorcycle tag/licence, and a turn signal kit

anyone else have any input or insight as to info on the matter or any experience with it?
any feedback would be great:)

ryansblaster
06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/allthingsatv/a/atvstatelaws.htm (http://http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/allthingsatv/a/atvstatelaws.htm)

One_Bad_400
06-25-2009, 09:48 PM
i've looked into it for years

in my state. it is considered a car. becasue it has 4 wheels. you must have a seat belt, turn signals, street legal tires, horn, break light high/low beam headlights.

some people has put a custom swingarm on quad that have 1 wheel. so then it is considered a motorcycle. but then its not really your fourwheeler.

timmy400exfast
06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
where i live i can ride on most roads besides highways

UnderFire
06-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Oregon is terrible, for it to be legal here, it must be labeled from the factory as an "on-road" vehicle, so even if you put street tires and turn signals and all that on a rhino or quad or anything, it is still illegal, even if you use a dirtbike, it still is.
:(

hondariderdylan
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
well for the GA guys i have good news

i just got done with the first in-car driving part of my drivers ed course and my instuctor was a cop, he is also into all kinds of bikes and cars and he said as long as it has a brake/healight, turn signals, motorcycle tag, etc. you can have it registered in georgia

he said that cops will often pull you over becuase they think it illegal and when they run your tag and it comes back clean, you will be set

i might try it:D

timmy400exfast
06-26-2009, 09:36 AM
you might need a faster wheeler lol jk

One_Bad_400
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
my imput on that is. just dont let them catch ya! :devil:

timmy400exfast
06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
i had a friend with a raptor who tried that lets just say it didnt work out all that well

hondariderdylan
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by timmy400exfast
you might need a faster wheeler lol jk

400ex or an R will be in my possesion if i decide to follow through with it:D

timmy400exfast
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM
good choice lol

One_Bad_400
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
not trying to piss anyone off BUT i've got a good story about cops and quads. :D

i'll make it short and sweet,

me + 2 buds. trying to get to one of my buds house. the next city over. one thing leads to another. next thing we know. EVERY police officer and sherriff in the town(not a small town) is circling around us. i thoght FOR SURE we were busted. first time in my life i was scared! a few hours later. we end up in the next town. new town, new cops. they hadn't catched on yet. easy sailin for there cap'pin.