PDA

View Full Version : Am i in the right here?? Should i be reimbursed at all?

lyrikz74
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I used to ride alot when i had my 2001 400ex. Well, i sold it in 03 and just about 4 months ago i went to buy a new bike. I wanted to get a 450 because a buddy of mine has one. I loved my old 400ex though.. it always felt good and never had issues going anywhere with it. So, i go into the dealer and start talking to the salesman. I tell him im interested in gettin a 450 and tell him the story about my old 400ex.
The salesman goes on to tell me that the 08/09 400ex have been upgraded. That if my old one was good then this one would be better. Has better power, new rod ratio and more power. They had to add more power because of adding the weight for reverse. So i start thinking about it and it all make sense to me. My old 400 ran awesome with just a muffler on it and now the new updated 08's have more power. I cant go wrong.. SO, i buy one.
I take it out around my block and it just feels great. I havent ridden a bike in a few years so im sure anything would of felt great. I then go and take it to the last place i rode in the sand. I immediately run into an issue. The same hill that i rode a few years before (which is now not as steep) im having a hard time getting up.... The whole trip is me just not making it up places i didnt really have issues with before..... Next thing is i hop on here and start talking to people and come to find out that the damn 08 is IDENTICAL engine to the 01's.... Needless to say im pissed..

I went to the dealer and explained wwhat i was told by my salesman. Of course he is gone now.. I have purchased a few other bikes in the past from these guys... The manager i talked to is going to talk to the owner and have him call me. I have a bike with a little under 3.5 hours on that i dont want... I got the bike for a good deal and what im looking for is for them to give me a screaming deal on a trade in and a screaming deal on a new one. You think they should go out of their way for me or is it buyer beware????

thoughts....

cliffs: told incorrect false information about a bike.
bought bike based on what salesmen told me.
found out the bike is mud slow.
Want new bike and want them to give me a huge portion of my money back towards a new one....

honda400ex2003
06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
personally i guess i would do it if it was my dealership but i guess it is your fault for not researching them first. it is pretty common for this stuff to be told since they dont know. i would have looked at the specs or something to make sure if i was unsure about it. if you knew what the old ones were and looked at the new ones they are the same, just with reverse, added weight, and different fenders. we were all hoping more would come but it didnt. lol, anyway, it was your decision to buy without a test ride too. no matter what the salesman says. I doubt the owner will do anything since he does not want to deal with a used machine to sell now and possibly lose more money in this economy. if he does great. I hope everything works out good for you and wish you the best of luck, let us know what he says when you talk to him. steve

matt14c
06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
I think they prolly should but the bad part about things these days is they prolly wont! They might give you a deal on a new one but not sure what they will do about the trade in. They will prolly clean it up all nice and put some armor all on it then stick it back in the showroom as a new bike! Good luck

lyrikz74
06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
personally i guess i would do it if it was my dealership but i guess it is your fault for not researching them first. it is pretty common for this stuff to be told since they dont know. i would have looked at the specs or something to make sure if i was unsure about it. if you knew what the old ones were and looked at the new ones they are the same, just with reverse, added weight, and different fenders. we were all hoping more would come but it didnt. lol, anyway, it was your decision to buy without a test ride too. no matter what the salesman says. I doubt the owner will do anything since he does not want to deal with a used machine to sell now and possibly lose more money in this economy. if he does great. I hope everything works out good for you and wish you the best of luck, let us know what he says when you talk to him. steve

I realize i should of read up, but your not legally allowed to lie about a product your selling ya know... I cant prove what the salesman said though. You said a testride??? I have never been to a bikeshop that allowed you to test ride a NEW ATV....

I hope they step up. I have bought 3 or so bikes/atvs from them and i hope that helps me in some way. I would of bought my other 2 bikes from them but they were just out of stock. . PLUS my buddy that has the 450, GOT that from them. ahaha.... I will keep you guys posted. They have a clearance yz450 quad they have listed for 4700... SO we will see.. id rather get the honda just because my gears all honda, but whatever i can do to get something quicker.

honda400ex2003
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
all the places up here will let you test them before you sign if you want. i hope it works out good for you and they will take it back. any 450 is nice. steve

lyrikz74
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
all the places up here will let you test them before you sign if you want. i hope it works out good for you and they will take it back. any 450 is nice. steve

Im not expecting to hav ethem take it back 100% ya know.. BUt jus tmore then your average trade ya know

MyKe2g3
06-24-2009, 10:26 PM
The dealer might work with you but i seriously doubt it. Always remember when your spending your money on something like that to go in knowing what you are looking for. Some places dont let you test ride if you are a tire kicker but majority of places do and personally i wouldnt buy one if they wouldnt let me. If they let you get the yz450 then take them up on it because you will prob have to add money on a 450r.

CJM
06-24-2009, 10:55 PM
They will work with you if you ***** enough, but tbh I think what your gonna get is a trade for a 450R since thats the power you want.

Honestly I find it funny the 01 was better than the 08. Maybe its you, maybe its the running gear? I got mine used and it already has a nice pipe, jetting and smaller tires and its taken me everywhere I wanted so far. Could you just be outta riding shape?

JOHNNYRENO
06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
dude UFO you fnnnn own it.

lyrikz74
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
They will work with you if you ***** enough, but tbh I think what your gonna get is a trade for a 450R since thats the power you want.

Honestly I find it funny the 01 was better than the 08. Maybe its you, maybe its the running gear? I got mine used and it already has a nice pipe, jetting and smaller tires and its taken me everywhere I wanted so far. Could you just be outta riding shape?

So a yamaha 450 is slower then a honda 450?

No, not out of riding shape. The hills are HUGE and long.. All you do is pin it in third all the way up, occasionally you have to hit 2nd and sometimes 1st. BUT, this trip it was zero in 3rd, and second was just flat out and 1st was useless.... If they dont give me anything for my 400, then im sure i will be fine with some mods on it.... I dont necessarily need the 450 power, just something similiar to what i had, with a bit more power.. EXACTLY what this **** head said i was getting.

lyrikz74
06-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by JOHNNYRENO
dude UFO you fnnnn own it.

Thanks captain obvious, i know i own it. Whats even funnier is i used to work for a car dealership for years.. not as a salesmen, but i have seen it all. The loudest people got the most attention. Im not a loud type person. BUT, if they try and treat me like a regular joe, i will make this **** hell..... I have a feeling they are gonna be cool. Ideally they give me 4500.... I paid 5800 OTD.... I dont think im to far off... Then i want as close to ****in COST as i can get on the new one.... If they are cool with that, then in a few months i iwll come back and get my wife her new 300ex. That would be teh 4th bike with them...

IDK... We will see how it goes.... I have friends at king5 also. They are ALWAYS looking for stories on businesses trying to get over on people in hard times.... AHAHAH...

JOHNNYRENO
06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Dude you know if you have been in the auto industry At ALL ...You SIGNED! UFO.....

JOHNNYRENO
06-25-2009, 12:33 AM
BUYERS REMORSE!

bigbad400
06-25-2009, 07:12 AM
they are alot nicer to you then they were to me!!!! usually you get alot of people saying you ****ed up and now you want us to feel bad types of stuff, diamond j said i would never bend there kit in normal mx conditions and i bent it on a 5ft of air 20 ft long jump, i got a replacement part, for junk i just bent anyways. everyone on here said i was in the wrong to want my cash back instead of more junk parts. oh well i got nice a arms now and elka shocks and i get double the air and never bottomed out yet. i love the new stuff.

F-16Guy
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
http://consumer-law.lawyers.com/warranty-law/Consumer-Law-Warranty-FAQ.html

Read: Implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.

scdirtdobber
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
F-16Guy gave the same good info on my thread "stiff Puffin" on a new 400ex I have that is under warranty and smokes.That info might give me some needed leverage seeing they know we have rights and know the law.My problem is a bit different than yours but I wish you luck with the dealer,I know exactly what your going through

F-16Guy
06-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I doubt it will help much, given my past dealer experiences, but it always helps to have as much information as you can when pursuing stuff like this. Manufacturers hate warranty work, so short of taking them to court, you'll probably both continue to get the run-around. In this case, if it smokes with less than 20 hours on it and you can show the dealer that it is, then you should have a claim. It may be something as simple as valve seals, but even if it's a top end, how much would that really cost the dealer? If you or I can do a top end with aftermarket parts for $500, then they should be able to hone it, throw a set of rings in it, and do valve seals for considerably less. I think the big thing in both cases is that most people eventually go away after being told "no" enough times, so that's their strategy. Cost to them? $0.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
BUYERS REMORSE!

hahah, your a giant duesche. loler.... The guy lied to me. If it was a different motor and still ****in slow i wouldnt be on here right now.... No what i mean??? I do know about that once you take it off the lot its yours... ahaha..

Im calling the dealer in about an hour. I will let you guys know.

Snipe
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Yeah but you should have researched, all the difference is it has reverse and pastics. Its not added weight cause all reverse is a sliding pin mechanisim that makes first gear move backwords.

Its still the same ole 400ex that you loved so dearly in the past. Im guessing what the deal was for one your riding in sand up a hill with stock tires yeah its gonna be hard DUH

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Snipe
Yeah but you should have researched, all the difference is it has reverse and pastics. Its not added weight cause all reverse is a sliding pin mechanisim that makes first gear move backwords.

Its still the same ole 400ex that you loved so dearly in the past. Im guessing what the deal was for one your riding in sand up a hill with stock tires yeah its gonna be hard DUH

I should have researched, BUT HE SHOULDNT OF LIED... Thats my point here.. if they say that it does or has something, it better damn well have it ya know....

I have sand paddles on it... THE ONLY difference between teh two bikes is my old one had a slip on.. Thats it... Same paddles and everything.. My point is now not how fast or slow the ****er is, but HE TOLD ME INCORRECT information and they are liable for that ****...

JOHNNYRENO
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
ok lyrik im a douche or whatever], but this douche will guarantee you that you will get NOTHING, thats right i said you get NOTHING now what have you got NOTHING. even if you take a zero sandwich with no bread you still have nothing. you signed the deal now handle it no snivelling\. but on a positive note. dude you can mod that thing and turn it into a beast that you will be happy with. if you need help doing ot i will be glad to help bro pm me for some rellly good mod tips where you will be outrunning 450s rock steady brother

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
ok lyrik im a douche or whatever], but this douche will guarantee you that you will get NOTHING, thats right i said you get NOTHING now what have you got NOTHING. even if you take a zero sandwich with no bread you still have nothing. you signed the deal now handle it no snivelling\. but on a positive note. dude you can mod that thing and turn it into a beast that you will be happy with. if you need help doing ot i will be glad to help bro pm me for some rellly good mod tips where you will be outrunning 450s rock steady brother

I hope you know i was kidding about the duesche part. I have a feeling they wont do anything. And in all honesty, what the **** can i do? Just NOT buy from them anymore... We will see how it goes. Still waiting for the owner to get in...

I just dont want them to tell me they will give me 3000 for my bike. ahaha.. im hoping 4500 on trade in, going TOWARDS a new one from them.. Think they would do that???

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Hoping to get $4500 on a trade? Good look with that. What did you pay for it? That's what they're going for brand new around here.

Snipe
06-25-2009, 12:38 PM
A good owner would put the cutomer first, and in all honesty when I bought new I bought the EX over the 450 even though my dealer sells KFX, YZ, R's and now polaris all on one store. I opted for the EX you know why? cause for a new EX talked them down to the same price as yours I could do whatever I wanted to it and still be under the price of a 450. That was my whole theory behind buying the 400 (NEW) over the 450.

buying a used one would be different.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
All i can do right now is hope.. We will see. If they just treat it like a regular trade in then im going to tell them that im talking massive **** to EVERYONE i meet and that i will never buy from them again....

I have lived in my area for 4 years and have already bought 3 bikes from them.. That **** should mean something.

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
You're right. It should mean something. I wish you the best.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
You're right. It should mean something. I wish you the best.

Part of me is excited either way... If they get me a new quad then great... If not, then great i get to upgrade mine. Since i was happy with my piped 01, im sure i will be alright with this.

I like your mods Beaver. Hows your bike feel??? Your sprockets, you went up 1 in the front??? Stock is 14, dont you normally go down 1 on the front? You lose a little top end in the higher gears but more umphh downlow?

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by lyrikz74
Part of me is excited either way... If they get me a new quad then great... If not, then great i get to upgrade mine. Since i was happy with my piped 01, im sure i will be alright with this.

I like your mods Beaver. Hows your bike feel??? Your sprockets, you went up 1 in the front??? Stock is 14, dont you normally go down 1 on the front? You lose a little top end in the higher gears but more umphh downlow?

Going up one in the front gives more top end, while the other mods I did feel like I gained more low end(in my mind, anyways). I don't really feel like I gave anything up anywhere, just got a little more everywhere, if ya know what I mean.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Going up one in the front gives more top end, while the other mods I did feel like I gained more low end(in my mind, anyways). I don't really feel like I gave anything up anywhere, just got a little more everywhere, if ya know what I mean.

I dont care about top end... Dont think i ever get out of 3rd. ahaha... So if i wanted more low end, 1 down in the front is what i want right.

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Yep. I didn't really want more top end either, though. I just did it so that I wasn't always shifting. Now I can hold 2nd in technical trails and third in the slightly faster ones instead of shifting all the time. After a little time in your riding area, you'll find out what you need.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Where im at, im PINNED in second and cant pull third.. I want to be able to pull 3rd....

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Yep. Go down 1 on the front and see where that get's ya. Should be pretty explosive. I had a hard time keeping the front end down before. I can't imagine what a 13T front would be like.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Yep. Go down 1 on the front and see where that get's ya. Should be pretty explosive. I had a hard time keeping the front end down before. I can't imagine what a 13T front would be like.

Why did you remove your choke? Isnt it a super ***** to start when its cold?? Mine is already even WITH a choke.

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Removing the choke gives better throttle response. Starting isn't an issue if you go up to a bigger pilot jet.

Here...

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/choke400ex.html

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Removing the choke gives better throttle response. Starting isn't an issue if you go up to a bigger pilot jet.

Here...

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/choke400ex.html

Wow, really. Didnt realize that.... Im now kinda leaning toward keepin this one and just addin a few things. ahaha... Since KNOW ONE IS CALLING ME BACK!.

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
The EX is a great all around machine with a ton of aftermarket support. I say keep it...

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
The EX is a great all around machine with a ton of aftermarket support. I say keep it...

Heres an offtopic thing a bit... My old 400ex would fire RIGHT UP... doestn matter how long it sat. This new one is a ****ing PIG... Even if its slightly cold out, takes me forever to get it running and keep it idleing. SPITS and sputters. ahhaa... AND ITS NEW>. WTF?

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Mine was the same way until I put a bigger pilot in. It's a very well known problem. Honda jets them a little lean to better meet EPA regualtions.

bigd's ex
06-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Mine was the same way until I put a bigger pilot in. It's a very well known problem. Honda jets them a little lean to better meet EPA regualtions. Like Beav said, remove the choke & put in a 42 pilot & that will fix your starting problem.

Snipe
06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
You wont regret it im doing this tomorrow along with playing with main jet sizes and other things to the carb im tired of this BS and im putting it in perfect lol.

Gonna suck cause after this im gonna have to change my winter main jet to a dif one as well.

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
You wont regret it im doing this tomorrow along with playing with main jet sizes and other things to the carb im tired of this BS and im putting it in perfect lol.

Gonna suck cause after this im gonna have to change my winter main jet to a dif one as well.

I know this is silly, but where the hell do you get a 42 pilot jet... Ebay have em???

BEAVER.989
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm

Snipe
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
A local shop gets them individually. He pays shipping and I get them for $5 each lol.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Keihin_Jetting_Components_C69.cfm

Best place online I found

lyrikz74
06-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Reno, you were dead right man. DEAD on. I came in, told the manager the story, he came back with 3800 dollar offer. I looked at him, and said thats bull****. I told him that i was gettin 2 more quads buy the end of the year, and that i was never coming back. They didnt give a ****. Im pissed. ahaha.. Oh well, i get to mod mine now. ahaha...

JOHNNYRENO
06-27-2009, 10:03 AM
now stuff a piece of rebar through his radiator every 3 or 4 months for the next 2 years just sharpen a piece of old rebar on a grinder and tap it in real good with a medium sized mallet.

JOHNNYRENO
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I hope you know i was kidding about the duesche part. I have a feeling they wont do anything. And in all honesty, what the **** can i do? Just NOT buy from them anymore... We will see how it goes. Still waiting for the owner to get in...

I just dont want them to tell me they will give me 3000 for my bike. ahaha.. im hoping 4500 on trade in, going TOWARDS a new one from them.. Think they would do that??? read the above post thats what you not only can do but should do trust me you will feel better:devil:

lyrikz74
06-27-2009, 11:17 AM
read the above post thats what you not only can do but should do trust me you will feel better:devil:

I was thinking of rocks through their display window for a year or two... and posting bad reviews to every frickin site i can find.... Plus im calling the owner also. Telling him how on the 4th of july weekend, me and my riding buddies are going to come over and spend saturday walking in front of their store with signs. ahaha.. Got about 7 or 8 buddies willing to walk around for a few hours. ahaha THAT will have to kill some business....

Also have a call in to King 5 here. See if i can get my reporter buddy out to talk to the owner. ahaha.

lyrikz74
06-27-2009, 02:42 PM
read the above post thats what you not only can do but should do trust me you will feel better:devil:

Well, screw those guys. Just bought some go fast goodies for the 400. I really liked my old one and like this one just as much. I think once i put these items on i will be happy.. I never really wanted a 450, so as long as its just a tad faster then my old stockish 400, im tickled pink.... Heres my goodies.

DMC Exhaust. woot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/jcemerson/BT1E-VQBmkKGrHgoH-CYEjlLl8jjFBKKg31.jpg

Renthal 13 tooth front sprocket... Hopefully let me pull some 3rd gear hills instead of 2nd.
http://www.cyclehead.com/images/infinity1008/bronco1008/frontsprocket_sm.jpg

UNI filter.... No box.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/26/05/1083_1.JPG

Last but not least, the god worthy sparks advance.
http://i8.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b5/7d/2674_1.JPG

Once i get all that taken care of, im going to remove my choke, then start my rejetting... Think this will liven the beast up a little bit??? The 450trx struts are next in line after this

BEAVER.989
06-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't ditch the airbox, completely... just the lid, if you must.

I've seen data somewhere that suggests ditching the box entirely actually loses a little bit of power compared to removing just the lid.

I haven't tested this myself, just thought I'd share something I've heard.

lyrikz74
06-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't ditch the airbox, completely... just the lid, if you must.

I've seen data somewhere that suggests ditching the box entirely actually loses a little bit of power compared to removing just the lid.

I haven't tested this myself, just thought I'd share something I've heard.

thats what i meant, sorry. This should liven it up a bit shouldnt it???? Im also doing the choke removal with the 42 pilot jet...

BEAVER.989
06-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the combination of mods should pep it up quite a bit. I think you'll be happy.

Snipe
06-27-2009, 04:16 PM
lookin good have to get pics when you get it installed. Luck on the jetting I hate jetting lol still tweakin with the main jet.

06-27-2009, 06:06 PM
YEAH I love DMC. Can't wait to see what it looks like on that 08:cool:

lyrikz74
06-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
Your 400ex should be really nice and if you are getting 450r shocks and you have the money send your stock 400ex rear and the 450r fronts to gt thunder to have them set for your weight and riding style. Trust me you will be happy you did it. That is about the only other thing I would do to that quad to make it amazing for trails besides a full set of skids maybe.

I dont do much trail riding. Very Little. Just dunes mostly.. I honestly dont know of any tracks to go and ride at...

honda400ex2003
06-27-2009, 07:20 PM
once you get that done you will love your 400. you will love it so much you wont be able to get rid of this one like your last. lol, mine is a keeper forever. no matter what else is in the garage there is always a place for my beast. lol, steve

lyrikz74
06-27-2009, 07:22 PM
once you get that done you will love your 400. you will love it so much you wont be able to get rid of this one like your last. lol, mine is a keeper forever. no matter what else is in the garage there is always a place for my beast. lol, steve

I am actually a little relieved that i get to keep this. That was kinda a sign that im making the right decision. Less maintenance in the long run and i LOVE building engines and would love to do a cam and piston on this thing in the future....

BassHunter0123
06-28-2009, 07:50 AM
another budget friendly mod you can do is put a 450r carb on it.

lyrikz74
06-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BassHunter0123
another budget friendly mod you can do is put a 450r carb on it.

Nah, if i ever go stroker 440 or so, then i will get a bigger carb...

Ruby Soho
06-28-2009, 01:34 PM
id get a 450. youll have the power of a completely built 400 with a stock 450..

just my 2 cents

lyrikz74
06-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I dont want to lose my *** (2000) to get a 450. I will put 300 in it or so and see how it is.

katch26
06-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I dont want to lose my *** (2000) to get a 450. I will put 300 in it or so and see how it is.

wait you paid 5800 for an 08 400ex? oh well it is what it is, just have fun with it. If you ever start to overanalyze your hobbies they start to lose their fun.

I was at the dealer the other day and he had 09 ktms for 6500 OTD with 1500 parts credit from KTM.

I think youre biggest problem is the gearing. I don't think you need a 450 if you never get out of third and just trail ride.

lyrikz74
06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by katch26
wait you paid 5800 for an 08 400ex? oh well it is what it is, just have fun with it. If you ever start to overanalyze your hobbies they start to lose their fun.

I was at the dealer the other day and he had 09 ktms for 6500 OTD with 1500 parts credit from KTM.

I think youre biggest problem is the gearing. I don't think you need a 450 if you never get out of third and just trail ride.

It was 5500ish out the door. This was 6 months ago... I called and looked everywhere. That was the cheapest price by 100 bucks.