PDA

View Full Version : engine rpm

mike maddrell
06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
after jetting my 300 ive noticed i easily hit the rev limiter now. i just got a 36 tooth rear sprocket and use a 14 countershaft. i also have 20" tires. havent ridden with the 36 yet, i literally just put it on.

my question is at what rpm does the stock ignition cut and what aftermarket rev boxes are the best? i been eyeing the amr racing monster coil and rev box. id like to hear what yall been using from your own experience though.

thanks in advance-

JohnT_98300EX
06-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Ride with the 36 tooth before you make a decision. Don't get ahead of yourself. When I first piped and jetted mine (otherwise stock motor at that time) I was running 14 x 38 and it was crazy quick, but hard into the limiter in 5th. I went to 14 x 37 and it was great with 20 inch rears. A little weak when I went back to 22 inch rears, but livable.
Don't make a mod without testing it after. Time it, or use a GPS gear by gear. Get information to base decisions on. Be able to verify what the mod did. Or did not do for that matter.

mike maddrell
06-25-2009, 06:47 AM
thx for the reply john. 14/38 is what i just changed it from. it had no problem hitting the limiter in top gear which is why i thought i could try a 36. seems it would have the power to pull it.

your advice to do one mod at a time is good though. sometimes i do get ahead of myself there if just because theres too much idle time between rides.

think ive almost dialed in my jetting. plug is a greyish/brown on the insulator. rather see it more brownish/grey, but im close. theres still a slight stumble from 1/4 throttle up. not sure if its worth taking it apart for, hoping pilot screw will help there.

you can stab it and it will rev right up to rev limiter fast! i used a dynojet kit and the needle makes it rev noticeably faster, i like it. i currently have a 40 pilot, 124 dyno main(132.5 keihin), six holes in airbox for the foam plugs you can buy, but i took the foam out of mine. k&n filter and a full white bros e series with 12 disks and quiet core.

im still curious on rpm's of the motor though if anyone knows?
7250? 8000? ???