PDA

View Full Version : how much to make nova wheelie

buck440
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
i've had my beater 69 nova ss just parked and was wondering about the bare minimum you need to put in/on the car to lift the front end up a foot or so from a dead stop but be street legat at the same time and roughly how much to do it, thanks:)

fastredrider44
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Just sell it to me and I'll make sure all the tires stay on the ground. Or, I hope you have deep pockets, cause that's what it will take to pack the tires.

buck440
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
i seen a nova in evansville for sale for 6000 and the guy said it lifts the wheels easily and had huge tires in the back so i was just curious about what it takes

Scro
06-24-2009, 02:19 PM
It won't happen with street legal tires, no matter how much motor you put in it.

hondariderdylan
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Scro
It won't happen with street legal tires, no matter how much motor you put in it.

then when you get big drags slicks you either:
A. need more motor
B. have enough motor and make the internals of the axle look like pretzels
C. have both and have spent too much money and its probably about time for a rebuild on that drag motor thats cost even more money
:confused:

just my .02$

ZBlaster
06-24-2009, 02:54 PM

I've seen it done several times on DR's, which are street legal.

First things first, SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION. I don't care if you have 1,500whp if you can't get it to the ground, then it useless. A good triangulated 4 link with coilovers and lots of testing/tuning to get it right should be sufficient.

Second, good set of tires. Like I said, it's been done several times on DR's... doesn't make it easy. A good full slick is the best bet, also have to make sure it's the optimal size, too short, too tall, too narrow, or too wide will all cause issues. Get it good and hot, and she will stick.

Third, Gear/Converter (if auto)/etc., too high of a gear and it will be sluggish off the line, too low and you may still have traction issues even with the best suspension/tire setup. Figuring out the perfect gear is an art, luckily in most cases other people have done the research for you. If running an auto, a good converter is a must to get it off the line. Also I'd recommend a transbrake on an auto.

Fourth, a rear end that can handle a sudden dead hook as hard as is needed to pull them. This won't be cheap either. A premade setup from Curry, Moser, etc. will be the easiest way out if you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself.

Fifth, Power. I've seen as little as 350whp pull the front tires on a foxbody platform car. My old Mercury Capri was making barely over 400 and would pull them nearly 10" off the launch. Obviously the more power you have, the easier they will be to pull... but also the more you have to pay attention to the other aspects.

Fifth, a good driver. If your slow with the pedals, might as well not expect anything... and if your less than skilled if you do manage to get them off it could be a catastrophe.

There's alot more to making a car wheelstand than just pure, raw power... in fact its one of the least important aspects in the long run.

316raptor
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Buy Hydro's that will do the trick :D :D

fastredrider44
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
So how much?:D

hondariderdylan
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
So how much?:D

come back tomorow

we might be done counting by then:p

ZBlaster
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Simple answer: If you have to wonder how bad it's going to hurt your wallet to do it, chances are you can't afford it.

06-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Wrong. I've seen Drag Radial's lift tires many times. There's a 5.0 fox body mustang that always runs our local track in the street class and lifts the tires about a foot and a half every launch. Running the street class you have to have DOT legal tires.

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=85cd7b43-1c62-4787-8bfd-452162bb16dc" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/STREET_45073.htm">STREET+WHEELIE%0d%0ahttp%3a%2f%2forangess1.proboar ds92.com</a>

buck440
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
:eek:

ZeroLogic
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Just get a real fat girlfriend and tell her to sit in the trunk. Its the cheapest way and she'll even make you breakfast after... well you know.

TCracin440ex
06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Nova
Wrong. I've seen Drag Radial's lift tires many times. There's a 5.0 fox body mustang that always runs our local track in the street class and lifts the tires about a foot and a half every launch. Running the street class you have to have DOT legal tires.

fox bodies lift the wheels easy because they are so short wheel base

chevy vegas, and ford pintos are famous for it too. due to short wheel base

but the post above is right tho its all in your suspension, and transmission has alot to do with it. most people you see that are pulling the front wheels are running trans brakes or a very high stall converter.

let me say as well too if you do have a stall or transbrake when you tach the motor up and drop the hammer you better have your shyt right because if not you are going to twist axle shafts, drivelines and break r&p gears. whichever is the weakest.

depending on the length of track u want to run a 4.10 gear is a good all arround gear on a 1/4th or 1/8th. 4.56 would be too low imo on a longer track.

also keep in mind your front suspension too because ive seen several fox bodies, vegas, and pintos pull the front wheels and when they come back down the weight of the car slamming down on the front wheels ive seen lots of things break from oil pans on down the line to spindles

fastredrider44
06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
come back tomorow

we might be done counting by then:p

I mean for the car like it sits.

extremeblastr
06-24-2009, 06:02 PM
you want to do some real wheel stands you need to get yourself a mid to lates 50s chevy sedan or wagon and relocate the engine to the trunk/cargo area. my dad and his buddies all had cars like this in highschool and used to see who could hop the front end over the highest stack of beer cans in the first 3 feet of the run. one of them made if over a stack of 6 which if you ask me is fairly impressive in that small amount of room on the tires they had available back then.

907Rider
06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Just get a real fat girlfriend and tell her to sit in the trunk. Its the cheapest way and she'll even make you breakfast after... well you know.
haha!

416exfreak
06-24-2009, 07:59 PM

WRONG!!!

<a href="http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial">Mickeys</a>

Those will do it:devil:

TCracin440ex
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
stickey mickeys lol

416exfreak
06-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
stickey mickeys lol

I run a set of 325/50R/15's on my truck when I take it to the track. I've managed to get it to pull the front tires about 6" and carry them about 40 feet.

Not bad for a small block, albeit on the spray...:chinese:

muddy400EX
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
i dont think you have a clue of the money and work that will have to go into that car to make it do a good wheelie

TCracin440ex
06-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i dont think you have a clue of the money and work that will have to go into that car to make it do a good wheelie

i dont think he does either and its a longer wheelbase & heavier car then some of these street cars that pull the wheels

JForestZ34
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Nova

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=85cd7b43-1c62-4787-8bfd-452162bb16dc" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/STREET_45073.htm">STREET+WHEELIE%0d%0ahttp%3a%2f%2forangess1.proboar ds92.com</a>

That was a really good wheelie but I think it's kind of stupid to do it that close to a lot of people.. I've seen many guys hook and the cars take off either to the left or right... There lucky that nobody got hurt..

James

ZBlaster
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I run a set of 325/50R/15's on my truck when I take it to the track. I've managed to get it to pull the front tires about 6" and carry them about 40 feet.

Not bad for a small block, albeit on the spray...:chinese:

You aren't too far away, when are you going to bring that truck to SDR and let me get a piece of it with my street car ;)

hondariderdylan
06-25-2009, 05:11 AM
I mean for the car like it sits.

im still counting:rolleyes:

Scro
06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
WRONG!!!

<a href="http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial">Mickeys</a>

Those will do it:devil:

I guess my perception of "street legal" tires was skewed a bit.

fastredrider44
06-25-2009, 08:56 AM
im still counting:rolleyes:

Is the car yours? No.

hondariderdylan
06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Is the car yours? No.

ah
i thought you were asking how much it would cost to build a car like that

my bad.:)

fastredrider44
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
ah
i thought you were asking how much it would cost to build a car like that

my bad.:)

I was wondering what you meant. I thought I cleared it up. Lol. Yeah, I'd really like to get my hands on a 68-70 Nova SS.