PDA

View Full Version : THe first thing..........

Rebelrider10177
01-05-2003, 08:30 PM
What should i do to my 300ex first?...I already have an aftermarket air filter in it. What should I do next to it as far as power and speed? Pipe?

joeroadking
01-05-2003, 08:36 PM
first I would make sure the bike 100 % exc chain sprockets brake pads,axle bearings etc ,buy a service manual then get a pipe . +rejet

wheeltrax
01-06-2003, 05:07 AM
definately a pipe. What good does an airfilter do if the motor cant expell the gases properly. I say pipe and rejet and that should make a noticeable difference

OCCRA288
01-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Pipe then Shocks. The shocks will make the BIGGEST improvement you'll ever see.

RideRed04
01-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Dont get a pipe, they are a waste of money and dont get you much. Get a high compression piston and a cam, you will get more power out of it. Most people say a pipe because they are afraid to tear into the motor. Get a service manual and do it! Shocks would be a good place to start too.

wilkin250r
01-06-2003, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't suggest a cam before a pipe.

An important part of cam design is exhaust flow. As exhaust flows out, it has it's own momentum, which will actually create a vacuum in the combustions chamber. This vacuum will help pull in fresh fuel/air when the intake valve opens, which is why cams have an "overlap" where both intake and exhaust are open at the same time.

Basically, the point of it all is, the cam is designed around an aftermarket pipe with less exhaust restiction. If you get the cam before the pipe, you do not get the full benifits of the cam, in fact, you may even hust performance.

Go with the pipe, it's simple. A jet kit will also do great things. But, like a cam, the jet kit is also designed with an aftermarket pipe in mind.

Good luck with your mods.

RideRed04
01-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but a slip on isnt going to flow well enugh to make a huge difference, IMHO. A full system, yeah. I personally think that it is bull that we get charged $300+ for a muffler. The best car mufflers are lucky to be 1/3 of that. I myself would put the $300 into internal stuff before an exaust, and do the exaust later. Some people think differently, thats fine...it keeps the world goin round. I have seen some wild bikes with stock exaust, so it can be done. You have a good point on not getting the full beinifits of the cam without the pipe, but isnt it true that you dont get the full benifits of the pipe without a cam and a re-jet? If you want to split hairs, do them all at once before inflation raises the prices.