PDA

View Full Version : 250x won't kick start. looking for help!

schl48
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
my grandson has a 250x 86 or 87. it stopped starting with the kick start but if u tow it, it starts up and runs fine. we've adjusted valves according to manuel,cleaned carb and blew it out with compressed air and its got spark.
can someone please give me opinions on what could be wrong? i'm going to his house to try and help him out but i have no ideas of what to do next.
we've also tryed a little either to help the carb a little and that didn't help. we've also check the timing and that seems to be spot on. thank you much
i will try and keep adding things that we tried as this post moves along hopefully, thanks again, john

TRX-330
06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Im guessing that it still kicks over just wont fire? If so i would have to say since it wont start from kicking but will from pull start. You need to do a compression test, kick it like 4 times and let me know what the pressure reads. He could need new rings, stuck valves, or a hole in the top of the piston.

schl48
06-24-2009, 02:30 PM
i checked the compression and its 180 with 3 kicks.

TRX-330
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
hmmmm. let me think, ill get back to you asap.

schl48
06-25-2009, 04:36 AM
how about a valve?

TRX-330
06-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I honestly cant think of anything, if you got 180 with three kicks means its got good comp. If it was a valve it wouldnt have hardly any comp.

tw62t
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
If it starts up when you pull it and it runs fine, why would there be a problem with the mentioned parts?

Does it have spark when you try and kick it?

Sounds like youre not kicking hard enough.
There shouldnt be anything different between kick starting it and pull starting.

TRX-330
06-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Well when you have low comp. you can run into problems with not starting it with electric start, but it will start by pull starting it.

85spraybomb
06-26-2009, 10:45 AM
ok,first of all,you HAVE to double check your valve clearance,my friend said his were good,and i checked them,he had them adjusted on the exhaust stroke,i readjusted them,and it ran fine.
check and make sure you have good spark,so test your coil,your stator,stator pickup coil,and make sure everything tests out good.
make sure you have a good spark plug boot and spark plug as well.
ensure all wiring connections are clean,and any grounds are attached to bare metal.
my 250x is currently the same way,it usually starts with the kicker,then sometimes it wont start with the kicker,and i have to pop start it,and it will run fine for the rest of the day.
im still not sure whats wrong with mine,but i've got to check everything 1 by 1.
good luck

TRX-330
06-27-2009, 06:24 PM
DAMN! that guy is right haha you need to adjust them at the right point. IDK how many time ive seen people do it, anytime ive set my engine at TDC it has adjusted fine. Some kids at school did it on TDC and they were doing it on the comp. stroke.