PDA

View Full Version : needing some help with my first outlaw

mattman_13
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
i just bought a used 2007 outlaw 525. it was supposed to be in mint condition but i got ripped off...ive got a few problems with it that i need some help with
1) the first night i rode it the front left wheel bearing went out.. ive gotten the rims off but i cant get the thing off that the lugs are connected to that slide on the hub to get the old bearings out
2)if i dont grab the front brake for a bit the next time i try to grab it to brake it will take 3-5 pumps to get good pressure on em
3)when going really slow or in reverse then switch to 1st the bike will die.

thanks for any help you all can give. im really new to these quads and thought i was getting a good deal on one.. its supposed to have a warranty till may 2011 on it but considering how that guy was im doubting it now..
thanks, mattman

coalrat
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Check your rear brakes too for wear. the pumping needed for the brakes is most likely becouse your bearing in front( maybe back also) is wore out and causing your brake disc to wobble, pushing your caliper pucks back in.
To sleepy to look at my manual , i'll check back and reply if needed.

mattman_13
06-24-2009, 06:44 AM
thanks for the reply.. when the bad wheel is off the brakes work well.. i guess it was from the bearing like you said.
now i gotta get the things off with the bearing in em!

TYLER329
06-24-2009, 07:12 AM
The brake problem is definately the wheel bearing problem. The stalling problem is probably the adjustment on the throttle cable up on the handlebars. If this is all that is wrong with the bike then you didn't get ripped off. Wheel bearing failures are common on these things until you go to a better bearing (ie not Chinese)

mattman_13
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
ok thanks for the input.. ill check all that stuff tomorrow when putting in the wheel bearings.. i got a bearing puller today. and now the only mechanical problem is that the left rear tire toes in a lil up top..

by meaning getting ripped off.. i got told it was in absolute mint condition and the back plastics have cracks in em.. and the right headlight seems out of place and wont fit flush.. and there are some scrapes on the handlebars from roll overs.

thanks for everything tho..

wannaride4
06-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Hey also ck the rubber boot from the airbox to the carb. I have seen 3 that were all dry rotted out. These were all on 08's, 1 was mine I noticed while installing a JD kit and the othere 2 where still on the dealerships floors.

Also the cracked plastic is a common thing with these machines up through 08, that was 09's big improvement from what I understand. I have seen a couple posts say they built a support up to their rear fenders, sounds like a good idea.

But I cut my front fenders down and plan on trimming down the rear fenders to lose the weight of them so maybe they wont break out.

mattman_13
06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
so an update on it.. i got the idle problem fixed i just adjusted that thing on the cable as suggested and it worked great.
i cant get the right front wheel hub off to change the bearings in it. the left one came off easy with a bearing puller. any ideas?

i may get new plastic for it and make some braces as mentioned

and the left rear tire is still toes in at the top cant figure it out.. lol i wanna ride so bad this weekend. wish me luck

and thanks everyone!

sleddog66
06-26-2009, 04:41 AM
On the rear wheel thing, I seem to remember another post that someone had this issue, and it ended up being somthing bolted together wrong, like at the swaybar/shock area, but can't remember exactly. Just compare the right and left.

mattman_13
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
so i replaced the front wheel bearings.. and after about two rides the front left is already lose again.
ive compared both sides and cant notice any difference in how the rear is put together on each side.
now its poppy really loud around the rear cog area when in reverse..

and well it was supposed to have a warranty till 2011 but the guy i bought it off reassured me it just transferred with the bike and i have no clue who originally bought the quad to have it transferred to me and the dealership it was bought at are being pricks about it..
thanks had to vent and any tips are appreciated

sleddog66
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Popping noise in rear when backing sounds like a CV joint going bad?

sparks1032
07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
could also be the rear sprocket is loose! mine fell off and did not realize it was recalled! so check for rear sprocket bolt tightness if they are loose then it should be on recall

i wish we could make some permanent posts to include model year and such... the fenders can be supported better by ordering the RATH rear bumper and plastic weld them togther (or shell out $300 for new ones) also make sure if you ride it a lot in ANY type of water, mud, sand then hit the grease fittings after EVERY ride not as the manual suggests (somn like 40hrs) dont miss the ones on the bottom of the rear sway bar.

mattman_13
07-08-2009, 09:32 PM
alright thanks for the info.. ima check the sprocket first before i check it on the rear end..
i wish i could say ive ridden it enough to really grease the fitting like i should.. but ive probly had about 4 hours ride time on it and two front wheel bearing gone out.. lol i have riddin it in mud i believe in seeing how much it can handle.. apparently not alot haha

sheriff525
07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
if the chain is loose on the irs it will make a popping sound while in reverse. so just tighten it up to about 3/4 inch of slack or so depending on what you like, since the sprocket is stationary you don't need as much slack in the chain as a straight axel. also make sure the recall is done.

sparks1032
07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
If you ride n water/mud at ALL grease it after the ride grease is cheap and learned the hard way wearing out parts faster becuase I was going on the hour readings to grease!