PDA

View Full Version : need advice, should I buy it?

motohanks
06-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I am considering buying one of Thomas Brown's 2008 yfz450s and I was hoping to get some of your input on whether it is worth it or not.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=57866131&albumID=2876669&imageID=50338054

based on his description and the pictures the quad has...
various Yamaha Accessories (clutch, kick start, bumper, etc.)
PEP PB1 front shocks
PEP rear shock
JB Racing steering stem
JB Racing A Arms
Streamline Brake Lines
REM Pro Peg Nerf Bars and heel guards
Quad Tech Hood
Quad Tech Seat Cover
Hetrick Racing Exhaust
PowerMadd Hand Guards
Hiper rear single beadlock wheel
Hiper front non-beadlock wheel
Rath Rear grab bar
TAG Handle Bars and pad
Laeger’s Axle
Maxxis Razr MX tires

He wants $6000 for it and he says that there is probably around 30 hours on the quad.

I think that this is a fairly good price for a 2008 yfz that has that type of parts on it, but I am only 18 and I will be going into my freshman year of college in the fall and need to save some money for that. I have been saving birthday and holiday money since 2nd grade and with my high school graduation money I have saved about $4800 and I also have 200 shares of Nike stocks(currently at about $55 each) that was a gift from my grandfather a year or two ago. If I bought this quad I would sell about 1/4 of the Nike stocks so that I still have some money in my bank account in the fall.

Do you believe that I should go ahead and buy this quad or look around for some suspension and an exhaust for my 2005 yfz that I currently race in production stock c and wait till the end of the season to put it on. I am leading the points and if the season keeps going like it has, I will have to move up to a b class next year and I don't want to do another year in a stock class. If I bought this quad I would be able to race two classes for the rest of the year and have a spare quad next year in case anything happens. Next year my dad might start racing in the class that I do now on the 2005 yfz if I bought a quad with suspension already on it.

What do you guys think that I should do?

longtimeridr777
06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I would try to talk him down a little, tell him that you only have 5500 to spend. see if he will negotiate with you. It seems like a nice bike and would be worth the money in my opinion.

motohanks
06-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by longtimeridr777
I would try to talk him down a little, tell him that you only have 5500 to spend. see if he will negotiate with you. It seems like a nice bike and would be worth the money in my opinion.
thanks for the advice, he said that if I paid cash he would lower the price a little. I not sure how hard I should try to get him to lower the price because I need him to bring it to a national for me to buy it. I don't race the atv nationals, but a drive from Massachusetts to Texas to pick it up is just too far. Driving 8 hours to Pennsylvania would be more manageable tho.

Ride1Rob
06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, one things for sure! Being that it's Pat Brown's bike it wasn't ridden very hard :devil: lol . JK Pat Brown...

Seriously, the motor may be more than what you want to dump money into. I'm more than sure it has THE WORKS and will need constant maintnance. If you're not going to be able to crack this baby open and inspect parts (cams, valves, piston/rings, buckets, springs, and crank) around every 10-20hrs you may be getting in over your head. You have to remember that the motors on bikes such as these get torn apart and rebuilt after every race.

There was a guy here that bought 2 of Doug Gusts old bikes and could get only about 3 races on the motors before they crapped out each time. He got tired of dumping money into them and sold them for less than what he paid for them.

motohanks
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Well, one things for sure! Being that it's Pat Brown's bike it wasn't ridden very hard :devil: lol . JK Pat Brown...

Seriously, the motor may be more than what you want to dump money into. I'm more than sure it has THE WORKS and will need constant maintnance. If you're not going to be able to crack this baby open and inspect parts (cams, valves, piston/rings, buckets, springs, and crank) around every 10-20hrs you may be getting in over your head. You have to remember that the motors on bikes such as these get torn apart and rebuilt after every race.

There was a guy here that bought 2 of Doug Gusts old bikes and could get only about 3 races on the motors before they crapped out each time. He got tired of dumping money into them and sold them for less than what he paid for them.
That's a good point. Thomas said that the motor is stock, but is does have some cams. I also asked if it needs pump or race gas and he said that it was pump gas and it was last rebuilt about 10 hours ago. He has another one for sale with a Dasa head and GYTR exhaust and I'm guessing that's the one with "The Works".
If I bought it I would expect to have to replace the piston and have the shocks serviced at the end of this season as well as replace any bearing and stuff that is worn out.
http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=97752

Ride1Rob
06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd grab the one with the stock motor. That's not a bad deal for an 08 with the works.

motohanks
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to go ahead and see if I can buy it.

I was hoping to find a newish used yfz with pep or custom axis shocks and this seems to be ideal. the shocks are even valved for my weight.
$6000 is a little more than I was hoping to spend, but just getting good suspension and a pipe for my 2005 yfz would be $3000-4000 anyway.:ermm: This way I can get a whole quad and have the other just in case anything happens. I am looking forward to riding a yfz without the stock suspension. :D