PDA

View Full Version : losing gas

ZSK
01-05-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm losing gas out of my overflow tube. This happens whenever my 300ex isn't level which is 80% of the time. Jumps, wheelies, or just riding on hills or uneven ground. If I turn the tube and zip tie it straight up will it hurt anything. Thanks for the help, any other suggestions would help too, cause I like burning the gas not losing it.

300exazzkikr
01-05-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't think it would hurt anything, give it a try and see what happens.

Todd
01-05-2003, 09:27 PM
i dont know if it will have the same effect but i plugged mine off one time and as soon as i pulled a wheelie it died. your carb has to vent out the extra gas or it drowns itself. but turning it up my just slow it down. post your results cause i may want to try it too.

wheeltrax
01-06-2003, 05:05 AM
wouldnt your problem be the needle and seat? correct me if im wrong. Cause i know my friends banshee leaks like a mofo if your not riding it, and I know on my quads when that happens i just replaced the needle and seat and it cured the problem.

wilkin250r
01-06-2003, 10:57 AM
You may have dirt in the carb. I had a 250x that leaked out of the overflow all the time. When I tore the carb apart, I found dirt in the float valve, so that even if the floats were up high, the valve stayed open and more fuel came in. Try cleaning the carb and adding a small inline fuel filter.

redrider ex
01-06-2003, 11:23 AM
i ride wheelies all the time and hill climb so i was losing gas also so i pluged up my hose with a screw and it done just fine i have'nt had any problems with mine and i noticed that a tank of gas last me longer now.

F-16Guy
01-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Remove your float bowl. Check for dirt/debris in the float bowl and in between the needle and seat. Clean out passages with carb/choke cleaner. Check float level; if it's adjustable, set it to the recommended factory level (or just a hair lower, if needed) by bending the adjustment tab. Make sure the float's not damaged. If there's damage, it may become saturated with fuel and not float as well, making it open the needle easier and allow un-needed to enter the carb (which will promptly come out of the overflow/vent line). If your carb doesn't overflow while the bike's on level ground, the needle and seat are probably fine. When the little rubber tip on the needle gives out, your carb will overflow all the time when the gas is on. Good luck.
Also--Do NOT plug or kink the vent line, it's vital for your carb to work correctly. If you have fuel running out, there's obviously a problem, and plugging the vent won't solve it.

ZSK
01-06-2003, 02:21 PM
I didn't kink the tube but I did move it higher. I had a sputter once I hit third but I remembered the choke was on. I've run a tank and a half through it with no problems.

ZSK
01-06-2003, 02:28 PM

phatswinn
01-06-2003, 04:09 PM
sound to me like ur floats stuck