PDA

View Full Version : Wont Start At All

red_rider_069
06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
ok so one day i was gonna start my bike and go riding, i left the ignition switch on, it killed my battery to the point where i had to replace it, but meanwhile i try to jump start i with cables, it cranked over and it seemed like on every other stroke it would spark and fire, but it wouldn't fully run it would only puff out smoke, so i took the top end apart checked it out, replaced all gaskets beadblasted my valves and the head, so i cleaned it up, i cleaned my carb becasue it took me about 2 months to get to trying to fix it, so i bought a new battery, i put that in, replaced top end gaskets etc etc, adjusted valves and everything, put gas in it and oil, i figured my CDI boc was bad, so i grabbed my stock one and same thing is happening, i got spark alright, and i got plenty of feul and air, i got compression, and my cams is properly aligned, has any one had this problem? i talked to my instructor at MMI and he asked if i konw i adjusted the valves right, well i do it all the time, and this is the second time i do it while the machine has not been working, any suggestions? im really frustrated right now and i cant seem to figure out whats wrong with it..
i'd really appreiciate some feed back because i wanna get it running for the 4th of july, thanks:macho

HondaRaceReady
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Did you hook it to a car when you tried to jump it? You probably blew a fuse.

red_rider_069
06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
yea, 1. it will not blow the fuse unless the car engine is on, 2. the battery is a 12v battery aswell, 3 my bike would not turn over if the main fuse was blown... so yea im lost i dont know why it wont run, its jsut killing my new battery :ermm:

red_rider_069
06-23-2009, 07:24 PM
seriosly guys i would really like some feed back, im not trying to be an a55 in my last reply im jsut really frustrated.. i have pretty much all the basic trouble shoots done to it, idk what else to do :(

uchi
06-24-2009, 05:23 AM
maybe your not geting enough fuel. undo the line at the carb and open the valve and see how freely its flowing. could be clogging up and your not getting enough to start. also change the plug. chances are if youve been cranking it this much youve fouled her up. i had the same problem with mine. i wouldnt start it for months at a time and then id spend 40 minutes trying to get it to go and id foul the plug and only make it worse.

another thing id look into, the carb. you could be getting fuel and spark but maybe youre getting too much fuel from the jet, could be cracked could be broken. and last thing, clean your filter, could be youre just not getting any air into it

red_rider_069
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by uchi
maybe your not geting enough fuel. undo the line at the carb and open the valve and see how freely its flowing. could be clogging up and your not getting enough to start. also change the plug. chances are if youve been cranking it this much youve fouled her up. i had the same problem with mine. i wouldnt start it for months at a time and then id spend 40 minutes trying to get it to go and id foul the plug and only make it worse.

another thing id look into, the carb. you could be getting fuel and spark but maybe youre getting too much fuel from the jet, could be cracked could be broken. and last thing, clean your filter, could be youre just not getting any air into it
thanks for your input, but i already tried the new spark plug and i did mention i cleaned my carb..

so today after about 3 days of trouble shooting i did a compression test.. suppose to hold over 100psi.. lol i had about 40 psi.. i rechecked my valves for the third time, my exsuahst 1 exhaust valve ha dzer oclearance, i guess i didnt adjust them at TDCC (top dead center compression) idk where i must have adjusted them
so i set the clearance to specs 10mm on intake and 12mm on exhaust.. i did the compression test and got about 80psi, thats still very low, but it started up :D and shes running like a champ, i think i need new pistion rings to increase my compression, but then again i cleaned the carbon deposits off the top of the piston and head, so ima give it a ride or two and see how she does it not i will do a leak down test :) thanks for your input... although it was only 2 people :)

2001trx400ex
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
did you ever tinker with the cam chain because if its off one tooth it will turn over and everything but wont start i had that problem when i replaced it, just throwing random things out there