PDA

View Full Version : 250R trail exhaust

bruizer
06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Nice site! I'm new to the forum, but really like what I've seen so far.

I'm setting my 250R up for limited trail use, and need to replace the stock exhaust with something better. I live in Colorado and would likely be on trails the most, so a system with a spark arrestor would be necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good exhasust setup for this rig?

Thanks,

bruizer

IcutMetl
06-23-2009, 09:22 AM
A lot of people on here will bash FMF, but I like my FMF Fatty, and bought it with a silencer for $100 bucks on ebay, good used condition. It doesn't pull like a tractor off the bottom, but doesn't take long for that powerband to hit and it's pretty wide. I believe they make 2 silencers with spark arrestors to fit. Regular, and a quiet one.

1promodfan
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
^^^^^I agree with you too. No the FMF may not be the best pipe ever, but, I've had FMF "fattys" and "SST", and I loved both of them. Like metl said, most guys will bash it, but not me.

86 Quad R
06-23-2009, 10:24 AM
i feel the same as IcutMetl in regards to the fmf fatty. although there are others out there that are comparable such as the paul turner ect ect.

when setting your quad up for a specific application you should take all into consideration and match things up accordingly to acheive this. if you have any questions there are plenty of guys here that can help. good luck with your build. :cool:

Honda 250r 001
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
esr trx 6 pipe or sparks mx, something like that. the fmf is a decent pipe, but you will gain more power all over with the esr.

leager-n-ky
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
I have a ESR TRX5 pipe, and an LRD pipe and silencer for sale pm me if interested.

Rich250RRacer
06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by bruizer
Nice site! I'm new to the forum, but really like what I've seen so far.

I'm setting my 250R up for limited trail use, and need to replace the stock exhaust with something better. I live in Colorado and would likely be on trails the most, so a system with a spark arrestor would be necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good exhasust setup for this rig?

Thanks,

bruizer

Why change? The stock pipe is an excellent trail pipe. I've raced harescrambles and GNCC with it for years, never run anything else, even with my mods. The pipe produces smooth power, and pulls fairly well throughout the powerband. Even reputible builders like Baldwin and GT Thunder will back this. It seems like most of the aftermarket companies pick an area of the powerband and focus on it, rather than producing something that works well everywhere. I realize that this is needed sometimes, but you're limiting the usage of the quad. I'll use the Paul Turner Type 6 pipe as an example. When I ran the GNCC's, a large number of the riders in my class used this pipe. It worked very well in the tight stuff, as well or slightly better than stock, but when we came to a more open field section, my mildly built, stock piped motor would pull past these heavily built quads with ease.

rustyATV
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I've had the stock pipe suggested to me before, but never could find it.

I have the Paul Turner Type 6. I agree: great in tight stuff, but falls on its face in the upper mid range. Suits my riding style well, though.

I've run the Paul Turner 2003 Race pipe also, but on a different cylinder than the PT Type 6 so I couldn't do a side by side comparison, but it has a meaty mid range with what seemed like a mild loss in bottom end over the Type 6.

Rich250RRacer
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Watch the first line to start (the one that goes to slow motion). Even with the minor mods, stock pipe and stock carb, I still give the guys on 450's and one on a Predator fits with starts like this. I lead this race from start to finish.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GjZZIX3naMQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GjZZIX3naMQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bruizer
06-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the input on this.

Rich250R, you bring up a good point. I've always upgraded exhausts on all my machines, but I suppose I'm happy with the current setup on the 250. I would guess that an aftermarket silencer/spark arrestor would bolt up to the stock pipe, as I don't think there's a spark arrrestor on the stock silencer. The spark arrestor is a big deal in Colorado where the pine beetle kill has turned many of the forests into a tender box.

I've actually owned this rig since 1989, but it's been at a farm in Kansas out of my reach (other than a ride once or twice a year). It was completely stock other that a set of handlebars and some replacement tires. I've just installed a skid plate, new grab bar, and then I'll settle the exhaust issue. Whaddya think are the next items to upgrade on these rigs?

Thx,

Bruizer

Rich250RRacer
06-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by bruizer
Thanks to everyone for all of the input on this.

Rich250R, you bring up a good point. I've always upgraded exhausts on all my machines, but I suppose I'm happy with the current setup on the 250. I would guess that an aftermarket silencer/spark arrestor would bolt up to the stock pipe, as I don't think there's a spark arrrestor on the stock silencer. The spark arrestor is a big deal in Colorado where the pine beetle kill has turned many of the forests into a tender box.

I've actually owned this rig since 1989, but it's been at a farm in Kansas out of my reach (other than a ride once or twice a year). It was completely stock other that a set of handlebars and some replacement tires. I've just installed a skid plate, new grab bar, and then I'll settle the exhaust issue. Whaddya think are the next items to upgrade on these rigs?

Thx,

Bruizer

The stock silencer is a spark arrestor, but most all aftermarket silencers are compatible with the stock pipe.

250Renvy
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Rich, have you ever tried out the DG pipe?

Back in the day Gary Denton used it on all his race winning machines - it looks pretty much like a lighter stock replacement pipe - I've heard though that depending on which model it's more of a top end pipe (DG extreme vs DG national)

BTW I'd love to see some more video with the 250R racing.

1promodfan
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
You know what DG stands for???.......Don't Get!! I had an old friend of mine tell me once...(he's a member up here)...the logo on DG looks like the logo on Dollar General stores...just my 2cents

Rich250RRacer
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Rich, have you ever tried out the DG pipe?

BTW I'd love to see some more video with the 250R racing.

I had a DG silencer back when I started racing, it came on the quad when I bought it. I run an FMF now.

I'll check some of the other videos from our series, if there's more 250R stuff, I'll post it.

mxduner
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
dg is a very cost cutting thrifty business, they even had to leave the o out in their emblem to cut costs in advertising dollars...