PDA

View Full Version : Dang old head studs??????

soon2b426
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Would love anyones help on finding aftermarket head studs that are longer but not thicker.......I spoke to some guys at curtis sparks that said they exist.??? anyone know about them. they are going on my project R.A.P.E 426ex aka 450 killa

Pipeless416
06-22-2009, 09:56 PM
can you explain why you would need them to be longer? :confused: also, you would be making the biggest mistake you could if you didn't go with a larger diameter with any added compression over stock. the stock head studs are horrible.

soon2b426
06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
the guy at sparks said only use larger dia head studs if your stock ones have pulled and ruined the threads then drill tap and fit oversized. more
threads in the hole of the jug prevent it from pulling out. thats what i was told

Pipeless416
06-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by soon2b426
the guy at sparks said only use larger dia head studs if your stock ones have pulled and ruined the threads then drill tap and fit oversized. more
threads in the hole of the jug prevent it from pulling out. thats what i was told

or you could plan ahead so you don't have to do a full tear down to fix something that should and could have been prevented ;) once the aluminum heats up and those fine pitch, small diameter threads pull, you'll regret not just getting the HD studs the first time around. if you're building up your engine, you NEED the HD studs. do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.

soon2b426
06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
ok will do......i guess 13to1 needs some decent thread pitch i thought about getting ARP to build me some

Pipeless416
06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
GT Thunder studs are the most commonly used, but PM droppedmazda. he knows where to get different studs that are supposedly better for the really high compressions.. like 13:1